Wasmer 1.0 RC1 Released For Running WebAssembly On The Desktop Or Anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasmer 1.0 RC1 Released For Running WebAssembly On The Desktop Or Anywhere

Phoronix: Wasmer 1.0 RC1 Released For Running WebAssembly On The Desktop Or Anywhere

It's looking like Wasmer 1.0 will be released early in the new year as the open-source WebAssembly run-time for desktops or to run WASM code anywhere as a "universal runtime" in contexts outside of the web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thanks, updated in t2 :-) https://t2sde.org/packages/wasmer

Comment

Kudos for the people behind wasmer for reaching 1.0.

I will leave a reminder here that the reference implementation for WebAssembly is wasmtime, and also the reference implementation for WASI is the wasi-sdk. It is important that they come from the people who design WebAssembly.

Comment

Why's this so interesting? What's the point? Another bytecode to use instead native code? I'm sorry, i fail to see it outside the web and maybe game programming.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Why's this so interesting? What's the point? Another bytecode to use instead native code? I'm sorry, i fail to see it outside the web and maybe game programming.
          I'm wondering the same thing. Visited he web site and it is a mix of good and bad. What is really short there is examples of code which should be front and center.

In any event you are right. I'm more concerned about a Python replacement that can do cross platform in a native manner. Unfortunately nothing is really there yet, Rust, Julia, Swift and others just are not thee yet. I really like Swift and Julia is interesting but good cross platform GUI's don't exist, especially GUI' that leverage the new languages. I just don't see a reason for WebAsembly as the browser is the worse place for applications in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. Visited he web site and it is a mix of good and bad. What is really short there is examples of code which should be front and center.

In any event you are right. I'm more concerned about a Python replacement that can do cross platform in a native manner. Unfortunately nothing is really there yet, Rust, Julia, Swift and others just are not thee yet. I really like Swift and Julia is interesting but good cross platform GUI's don't exist, especially GUI' that leverage the new languages. I just don't see a reason for WebAsembly as the browser is the worse place for applications in my mind.
            Nim has a gui.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I'm more concerned about a Python replacement that can do cross platform in a native manner.
              Go is the cross-platform native Python replacement. And there are GTK+, QT, Sciter and some Electron-like GUI solutions.

Comment

For everyone wondering why wasmer, because
                A) Development
                B) debugging
                C) being able to run locally independent of restrictions of webbrowsers (such as shared buffer arrays,)
                D) webbrowsers suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  For everyone wondering why wasmer, because
                  A) Development
                  B) debugging
                  C) being able to run locally independent of restrictions of webbrowsers (such as shared buffer arrays,)
                  D) webbrowsers suck.
                  +1 for webbrowsers suck

Comment

Working...
                  X