No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.1-RC1 Released For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize people do like to trash talk LibreOffice, but from my small companies perspective, it works just fine....and saves us money. As a rule, we only interchange with PDF's so there is no issue there. Calc does everything we need for simple projections. Anything that is complex comes from our accounting system. The few times we have had to exchange files for collaboration, we try to keep the formats as straight-forward so the importing & exporting carries the correct layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Funny, I have the exact opposite experience. Even with ODT files *only* created and used by LO, LO still screws up formatting. Word isn't perfect either, as you mention, but I'm just saying that I personally don't find LO any better in this regard. The only office app that doesn't screw up my documents at all is FreeOffice/SoftMaker Office, but the current version doesn't really scale well on my 1080p 13" screen for some reason...
      There is a special place in hell for the group who created the default formatting in MS Word. And trying to change it is a serious PTA. I have not had the same issues with LO, but on a less serious note, you are either young as all get out or have amazing eyesight to be able to work on a 13" screen. Hats off to you (or Red Hats off to you if you use a Red Hat based distro.) I have trouble enough with a 15 inch screen - but I may be older than the dirt you brushed off of your shoe.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Yup, Word formatting is not perfect. I've had documents look fine in the latest version of Office Windows, that looked completely different on Office Android, and completely different again on Office Mac. It was absolutely maddening. LibreOffice has similar issues, and even sometimes it seems like Google Docs just randomly blows a document up for no good reason at all.

Plus the auto-formatting features of Word and Google Docs drive me absolutely out of my mind. I would much prefer if Word, LibreOffice and Google Docs would just offer a "LaTeX" mode or something.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
          Yup, Word formatting is not perfect. I've had documents look fine in the latest version of Office Windows, that looked completely different on Office Android, and completely different again on Office Mac. It was absolutely maddening. LibreOffice has similar issues, and even sometimes it seems like Google Docs just randomly blows a document up for no good reason at all.

Plus the auto-formatting features of Word and Google Docs drive me absolutely out of my mind. I would much prefer if Word, LibreOffice and Google Docs would just offer a "LaTeX" mode or something.
          You are right. I remember using TeX in graduate school. It just worked. Google Docs (or any of the Google Office Suite) was never an option for me. It simply does not have an enough options. MS Office online is more robust (in my opinion). LibreOffice has its issues, but at least it has some consistency - unfortunately it does not work for me with MS Office. But I will keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
            There have been three posts here regarding how lame LibreOffice's Calc function is (as well as a glaring one from a flaming LO fanboy--also taking a swipe at Calc).

You want a concrete example of how thoroughly bad LO is, after all these years (laying aside the most obvious, of course: being able to send your LO-generated résumé to a prospective employer, and having it rejected out of hand because most of the world simply can't read it, using Office, as most of the world does)?--
            If you consider me as the LO fanboy, that's just funny. I'll never be a fanboy of anything, I'm too critical to be blinded. And if I ever find something better (and in the repositories as I don't want to lose time looking for and downloading stuff), I will not hesitate one second to switch.

I've created and sent my resume many times using Writer. Sure, if I have a corporate laptop I check first if it works in MS Word (I don't have Windows or MSO on personal computers).
            But also, these days, you can export it and deliver it in PDF without any problem. It's also great to avoid employers to modify it without your consent.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
              Plus the auto-formatting features of Word and Google Docs drive me absolutely out of my mind.
              Same here. I usually warn my colleagues, if I'm getting angry and hitting my mouse on the desktop, I'm probably using a Microsoft app, and usually Office. Doesn't happen often but when it does, there's no other possible reason.
              Auto-formatting is the silliest thing there is. It never does what you would expect it would, and it is of absolutely no help in the end.
              Like that thing in your car that tries to keep you in your lane (but has to be overridden half of the time).

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Same here. I usually warn my colleagues, if I'm getting angry and hitting my mouse on the desktop, I'm probably using a Microsoft app, and usually Office. Doesn't happen often but when it does, there's no other possible reason.
                Auto-formatting is the silliest thing there is. It never does what you would expect it would, and it is of absolutely no help in the end.
                Like that thing in your car that tries to keep you in your lane (but has to be overridden half of the time).
                That is a perfect parallel - Word auto-formatting and lane assist.

I was once driving a rental car through the Brenner Pass going from Italy to Germany. It was December, there was snow and road construction between Brenner and Innsbuck, Austria. There were the obligatory lane shifts and lane narrowing and that damn Citroen fought me all the way down. When I got to the Alpine McDonald's at the bottom in Innsbruck, I checked the tires, the fluids, everything I could think. I pulled out the service menu trying to use my phone to translate Italian and was going bat sh*t crazy. Then I saw the feature in the manual, located the button on the dash damn near under the steering column and turned that "lane assist in wrecking you" off. Unfortunately it would turn itself on after every restart. Luckily I figured it out before I got to Munich - at that time all of the autobahns around Munich were under construction/repair. I HATE the feature -

- it is just like autoformat in Word. The "you do not know how to do it right so we shall show you" mentality. I bet lane assist was invented by someone who wanted to text and drive. (Those people piss me off, too.)
                Last edited by f0rmat; 27 December 2020, 08:17 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                  There have been three posts here regarding how lame LibreOffice's Calc function is (as well as a glaring one from a flaming LO fanboy--also taking a swipe at Calc).
                  Seldom have I seen some much spam packaged so neatly as "informed opinion".
                  I use LO. I've been using it for years.
                  I work daily with MS Office generated documents and excel sheets.
                  I *have* an office 2013 and 2016 MS office licenses but I use LO cause it fits _my_ use case better both on Linux (my primary workstations) and on my Windows VMs.

Granted, its is quite possible that my use case is not as mind-boggling-complex as yours (given your general childish tone and weird use of bold sentences, I wouldn't bet on it), but at least in _may_ use case, LO is the better product.

Feel free to think otherwise.

oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Let's face it, LibreOffice has completely failed.

In the LibreOffice website you can read that "LibreOffice is compatible with a wide range of document formats such as Microsoft® Word (.doc, .docx), Excel (.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx).". This is completely shit.

LO "compatibility" with Word means that it is able to open a Word document if it contains text and at best some image that follow the flow of the text.

As long as the document contains a bit more complex data like arranged images or tables or images in footer/header, or even a table of contents that is not trivial, LO will completely destroy the layout of the document, making impossible to exchange documents between LO users and Microsoft Word users.

And YES, I have all the Microsoft(R) fonts(R) and all that.

Second point: the de facto standard is Microsoft Word, because the majority of people use that, as you can see from market share of Windows.

So it's impossible to exchange documents with people at work.

1. Despite what is falsely written in the LO website,. LO support for Microsoft Office documents is, at very best, experimental. It should tell us outright that the support is experimental, and not sell us something that they don't have. In this way, outside people would mistakenly believe that LO support Microsoft Office, as it is written in LO website, and this is false. LO is giving people the impression that LO has features that it does not have. LO is giving people the impression that the project is stable and in active development.

2. The fact that LO does not have any developers is clear from the fact that
                    2.1 They had to contract bid developers to implement ODF 1.3
                    2.2 Most of the commits come from Collabora or CIB, outside firms working with LO
                    2.3 All the bug reports I have submitted for Microsoft Office interoperability have been ignored

3. After 12 years of development, LO is still in this state. GB after GB of source code, and still not able to provide the features it advertises

LO is misleading people into believing that the software is stable and in active development, while the features it advertises in its website are experimental at best. LO is actually dangerous for our society and for libre software.

Achieving full compatibility with Microsoft(R) Office(R) is technically possible, as can be proven by WPS Office which actually has it. The only current option for Linux users is to use WPS Office (after installing all the Microsoft(R) Fonts(R)).

Either LO has to change all the management, start a serious crowdfounding campaign, recruit developers and change all its working practices, or somebody else has to take over LO, branch it and start development of it, and let the useless and dangerous TDF be forgotten forever.

And don't give me the shit of "it's gratis". I am more than willing to pay for a working office suite (best if open source). And like me lots of people are

Comment

Working...
                    X