LibreOffice 7.1-RC1 Released For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.1-RC1 Released For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.1-RC1 Released For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

For those with extra time around the holidays, the first release candidate of LibreOffice 7.1 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still waiting for a miracle, eh?

Comment

The Writer is pretty okay if you install all of the Microsoft fonts.
      It may never be 100% compatible with native MS Word for Windows (when using tables and special markup stuff), but neither is the web version of Word that comes with Office 365.

I just wish Calc would get a bit more powerful.
      It craps out on my system with 64GB of memory when trying to sort large imported csv files.
      I always have to boot into Windows and use Excel for that.. which is nasty.

Comment

What we need the most is the OpenCL inclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          Still waiting for a miracle, eh?
          What miracle?
          If I had to pick between a paying version of LibreOffice and a free MS Office (I'm reversing willingly ), I would still pick LO any day of the week. On complex analyses documents, I work 25% faster on LO. That's all because the formatting of LO is more intuitive and consistent. I don't spend half my time formatting as in Word (even though I'm using it daily and know it very well). Also, I'm not angry at it like I'm often angry at the Office apps, as I'm fed up with how counter-intuitive it can be.

I used Impress for several pro presentations these last couple of years and it works wonderfully. I was really happy with it.

I've never used Calc professionally but I use it often for some finances, running laps reference points (with time additions, something that can be tricky in Excel), for my wine turnover (with plenty of automated stuff) and yet again I'm happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            If I had to pick between a paying version of LibreOffice and a free MS Office (I'm reversing willingly ), I would still pick LO any day of the week.
            IRL people pay for MS Office tens of billions of $ over the free LibreOffice.

Comment

I think if they change their default branch name from "master" to "main", it would fix many bugs and issues.
              Last edited by Setif; 24 December 2020, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                I think if they change their default branch name from "master" to "main", it would fix many bugs and issues.
                yeah right. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  IRL people pay for MS Office tens of billions of $ over the free LibreOffice.
                  That just proves how deep they are trapped in that ecosystem. They don't pay billions because MS Office is really better or easier to use. They pay that money because most people get taught MS Office in school and they never learned anything that actually works. Plus they are majorly trapped because they let MS talk them into believing OOXML was an open standard.

But it will be a fun game in the EU when Ireland finally takes actions against Microsoft products. Because pretty much not a single product adheres to european law.

Comment

If only impress allowed inline figures and equations ... that would make a huge difference for scientific presentations and education material.

Comment

Working...
                    X