No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.16 Released With Numerous Improvements To This Lightweight GTK3 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With X there is 1 server implementation that everyone uses. On the other hand, with Wayland each DE project has chosen to reinvent the wheel. How is that an improvement is beyond me.

Comment

Does moving to CSD solve 1px window resize everlasting thing?

Comment

Nice... Small but useful improvements while the big task was porting everything to GTK3 which also made losing to XFCE4 the title of extra-light-weight DE that now it is seems to be hold, mysteriously, by Mate. Even though both are GTK3 based and even though MATE uses more GNOME3 pieces than XFCE4 people still consider MATE lighter than XFCE4... Anyway, who care about it?

Speaking about the future I hope XFCE4 is going to adopt WLROOTS rather than WESTON, the conformation under the flag of RED HAT/IBM is is not good at all...
        Last edited by Danielsan; 23 December 2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Guest Wayland is a protocol. No more. No less.
          One more time: Wayland is a protocol *and* a collection of libraries: libwayland-client, libwayland-cursor, libwayland-egl, libwayland-server, etc.

Comment

How nice to see GNOME spruced up their classic session!

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Wayland is a protocol, not a display server. If you want a replacement for Xorg, then you may try Mir.
              Mir is not a display server anymore. If you want a replacement for Xorg, then you may try Arcan.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                With X there is 1 server implementation that everyone uses. On the other hand, with Wayland each DE project has chosen to reinvent the wheel. How is that an improvement is beyond me.
                In a sense, it's an improvement for FOSS diehards, just like how we have a gazillion Linux distros lol

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                  xfdesktop's memory consumption depends on the screen resolution. Assuming a single 4K display, this currently means at least 3840*2160*4 = 32MiB of memory.
                  Given that I don't need any of xfdesktop's functionality, that's 32MiB too much.

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                  xfdesktop's memory leaks related to turning the display on/off are fixed in XFCE 4.16. If you still feel that xfdesktop consumes too much memory, please file a bug report at https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdeskt...&search=memory
                  Since I can disable xfdesktop and save myself all the memory it would have used, I'm not really seeing a bug here.

At the moment, I'm more interested in submitting a new "Borderless" xfwm4 window manager theme. Since writing my previous message, I made the theme I wanted.

I got rid of the left and right window borders entirely and shrunk the bottom border by a few pixels. You can't resize windows on the left or right any more, now that there is no border there. And that suits me just fine!

Most applications I use have a vertical scroll bar along the right hand side. I used to unintentionally resize my window while trying to use that scroll bar. With this Borderless theme, accidentally resizing the window is far less likely to occur, and I've regained a little screen real estate too.

Here is a link for anyone interested in a Borderless theme. Unzip into your ~/.themes/ folder and then tell xfce to use the "Borderless" theme.
                  All of the default themes provided with xfwm4 have too much window border. There doesn't seem to be any easily selected option for borderless windows.
                  Last edited by ed31337; 23 December 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    I don't understand the use of that cyan/turquoise theme color. I know tastes and colors, blah blah, it's subjective yet as for pink it's the furthest from one-size-fits-all you can find, and to me it feels a bit cheap and childish.
                    I checked out the visual tour, and I'd have called that blue.
                    Where were you seeing pink?

Comment

horrible fusion of titlebar/toolbars. i hate this trend. i will not use it unless i can restore normal bars.

Comment

Working...
                      X