Xfce 4.16 Released With Numerous Improvements To This Lightweight GTK3 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    With X there is 1 server implementation that everyone uses. On the other hand, with Wayland each DE project has chosen to reinvent the wheel. How is that an improvement is beyond me.
    In a sense, it's an improvement for FOSS diehards, just like how we have a gazillion Linux distros lol

Comment

zoomblab ..or just accept Mutter as the Mother Of All Wayland Compositor Implementations..

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
        xfdesktop's memory consumption depends on the screen resolution. Assuming a single 4K display, this currently means at least 3840*2160*4 = 32MiB of memory.
        Given that I don't need any of xfdesktop's functionality, that's 32MiB too much.

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
        xfdesktop's memory leaks related to turning the display on/off are fixed in XFCE 4.16. If you still feel that xfdesktop consumes too much memory, please file a bug report at https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdeskt...&search=memory
        Since I can disable xfdesktop and save myself all the memory it would have used, I'm not really seeing a bug here.

At the moment, I'm more interested in submitting a new "Borderless" xfwm4 window manager theme. Since writing my previous message, I made the theme I wanted.

I got rid of the left and right window borders entirely and shrunk the bottom border by a few pixels. You can't resize windows on the left or right any more, now that there is no border there. And that suits me just fine!

Most applications I use have a vertical scroll bar along the right hand side. I used to unintentionally resize my window while trying to use that scroll bar. With this Borderless theme, accidentally resizing the window is far less likely to occur, and I've regained a little screen real estate too.

Here is a link for anyone interested in a Borderless theme. Unzip into your ~/.themes/ folder and then tell xfce to use the "Borderless" theme.
        https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/474
        Last edited by ed31337; 23 December 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          Given that I don't need any of xfdesktop's functionality, that's 32MiB too much.

Since I can disable xfdesktop and save myself all the memory it would have used, I'm not really seeing a bug here.
          Just a note: Filing an xfdesktop memory consumption issue might be beneficial to Xfce users who care about memory consumption but who don't want to turn to the somewhat unusual/extreme solution that you are using on your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            I don't understand the use of that cyan/turquoise theme color. I know tastes and colors, blah blah, it's subjective yet as for pink it's the furthest from one-size-fits-all you can find, and to me it feels a bit cheap and childish.
            I checked out the visual tour, and I'd have called that blue.
            Where were you seeing pink?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              bofh80 Wayland is a protocol. No more. No less.
              Sure ... But I asked, what it DOES. And there were other question marks in the comment that you seem to have ignored too?

Comment

horrible fusion of titlebar/toolbars. i hate this trend. i will not use it unless i can restore normal bars.

Comment

I am wondering if this is too late to get into Debian Bullseye.

Comment

What are the plans for XFCE 4.18? If they decide to add Wayland support, would something like wlroots or Mir be a better way to go instead of adding support to their own X Compositor or going with Mutter?

Comment

The "Remember settings for each folder" in thunar is really appreciated !

Because i always have a thunar instance with different tab / folder, in a specific order, and each tab have it's own settings, so restoring the state everytime i restart started to annoy me a bit

Comment

Working...
                      X