No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.16 Released With Numerous Improvements To This Lightweight GTK3 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These gnome-esque aesthetic developments make me consider switching to LXQt or IceWM. It was a good ride but everything comes to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      P.S. I think it's wrong to talk about "compositors" when talking about implementing the core functionality for a desktop environment on Wayland. Compositors don't do drag 'n' drop, they don't do clipboards, they fucking don't do screen recording. Maybe window managers do that. The problem is that people *think* compositors should do that, because they suck at software design and cannot come up with a viable solution where a compositor only does compositing and not sound management and clipboards.

People with mindset like this aren't much better at their jobs than the folks who had a god damn web browser built into an OS kernel some 20 years back.
      Back then the NT4.0 days, Microsoft explicitly moved GDI, their UI drawing interface *from* user space *to* kernel space. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...(v=technet.10) It is under the name of "performance". While it makes no sense in year 2020 to put stuff like GTK or Qt into kernel, at that time I am sure it makes a lot of sense to them to put HTML engine into kernel too, as HTML is in some sense just another UI drawing interface.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80 View Post

But i thought Wayland was complete? According to herzian law? You know *complete*, production ready, X drop in replacement.

Wait, weren't those all the things X was doing for me? So what does wayland DO then?
        Wayland is a protocol, not a display server. If you want a replacement for Xorg, then you may try Mir.

Comment

With X there is 1 server implementation that everyone uses. On the other hand, with Wayland each DE project has chosen to reinvent the wheel. How is that an improvement is beyond me.

Comment

Does moving to CSD solve 1px window resize everlasting thing?

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
              The desktop manager (xfdesktop) seems okay, but it does use up a bit of memory that I'd rather not spend. I don't really like having a pile of icons inaccessibly hiding down below all my windows anyway. I can more easily just use the panel to start apps. I disabled xfdesktop on my computer and am much happier about the memory savings. I don't miss its functionality at all.
              xfdesktop's memory consumption depends on the screen resolution. Assuming a single 4K display, this currently means at least 3840*2160*4 = 32MiB of memory.

xfdesktop's memory leaks related to turning the display on/off are fixed in XFCE 4.16. If you still feel that xfdesktop consumes too much memory, please file a bug report at https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdeskt...&search=memory

Comment

Nice... Small but useful improvements while the big task was porting everything to GTK3 which also made losing to XFCE4 the title of extra-light-weight DE that now it is seems to be hold, mysteriously, by Mate. Even though both are GTK3 based and even though MATE uses more GNOME3 pieces than XFCE4 people still consider MATE lighter than XFCE4... Anyway, who care about it?

Speaking about the future I hope XFCE4 is going to adopt WLROOTS rather than WESTON, the conformation under the flag of RED HAT/IBM is is not good at all...
                Last edited by Danielsan; 23 December 2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  bofh80 Wayland is a protocol. No more. No less.
                  One more time: Wayland is a protocol *and* a collection of libraries: libwayland-client, libwayland-cursor, libwayland-egl, libwayland-server, etc.

Comment

How nice to see GNOME spruced up their classic session!

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Wayland is a protocol, not a display server. If you want a replacement for Xorg, then you may try Mir.
                      Mir is not a display server anymore. If you want a replacement for Xorg, then you may try Arcan.

Comment

Working...
                      X