Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell UX Continues Improving For GNOME 40

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Just for the lulz, the little clip from the original post showing the improved navigation is a little stuttering.
    At least on their blog they could try to show a buttery smooth experience

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      Useless only for those think that way while users outside forum without bias are happy using plain GNOME Shell as long their favourite applications are installed.


      Flawed assumptions as I have helped average users installing Fedora, taught them how to update and upgrade to the next version via Software. Some of them figured out the shortcut and like using keyboard more to quickly access their applications. Majority of them use Windows 10 at their office and Android mobile.


      Yes you can as bare GNOME is designed with minimal distraction n mind and more emphasis on productivity.
      I accept opposite opinions but this seems more like lobotomized yes man opinion with little arguments on the why it's productive or the why most users are frustrated by the lack of options and also why they pick Ubuntu that overcomes the shortcomings of Gnome by adding the necessary extensions for people to be able to make the DE their own, not the one somebody thought was good for them.
      You'd be a good solider, receiving orders without challenging them. But people want to have their own will.

      Productivity should not be linked with bare Gnome, neither should be UX/UI, and even less "continues improving" that makes me choke every time since it seems like extra steps (reaching suspend in 3.36 or the session at boot in Gnome 40) and stripped down features with each version (too many lost features to mention).

      Gnome is made for Apple fans, that will bigotly support every move. I have yet to read a strong Gnome or Fedora fan say just once "OK, I don't like what they did there". It really feels like a sect dumbed down of their free will.
      Other people have a critical mind and are autonomous enough to create their own way rather than depending on a single version of the truth, or forced down choices.
      Last edited by Mez'; 20 December 2020, 05:47 PM.

      Comment


      • #73
        It's very good that they finally find a way to make virtual desktop usable. I hope they keep the current style of dash and the panel, this round thing is ugly.

        Comment


        • #74
          So, the only really good thing about Genome3 was dynamic desktops. Are they finally axing this feature as well?

          Unbelievable.... It's like there is a masterplan to sabotage Gnome from the inside (and with it, the whole Linux environment).

          Either that, or developers suffer a huge self-hatred complex ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Productivity should not be linked with bare Gnome, neither should be UX/UI
            Why?
            I love how productive I can be with it. Everything I need is just a few key strokes away.

            Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            and even less "continues improving" that makes me choke every time since it seems like extra steps (reaching suspend in 3.36 or the session at boot in Gnome 40) and stripped down features with each version (too many lost features to mention).
            I don't understand the concern with suspend. It's just a few clicks away, but I've never needed to use the menu. You can just close your laptop and it will suspend. Or press the power key on your PC and it will suspend.

            Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Gnome is made for Apple fans, that will bigotly support every move. I have yet to read a strong Gnome or Fedora fan say just once "OK, I don't like what they did there". It really feels like a sect dumbed down of their free will.
            Other people have a critical mind and are autonomous enough to create their own way rather than depending on a single version of the truth, or forced down choices.
            I respectfully disagree. Nobody wants to force anything just use what works for you.

            Comment


            • #76
              Since the launcher is at the bottom now, I think the 'activities' should also be at the bottom..

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by Volta View Post
                Since the launcher is at the bottom now, I think the 'activities' should also be at the bottom..
                Makes sense, like launchpad in mac os.

                And it would give more room to a global menu!

                (Keep in mind that I'm not an apple user, but I like some of their designs)

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                  Booting in Activities seems unnecessary. Nobody ever complained about booting in a clean desktop. At least it should be optional.
                  Optional? Well, aren't you a dreamer?

                  Don't worry, it's sarcasm. I've given up on hoping Gnome devs to offer options. I would fear more which options they are going to remove or which extra steps (this one or to reach suspend in 3.36) they're going to add at this point. They sure know how to strip it down, less so how to dress it up.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    Why?
                    I love how productive I can be with it. Everything I need is just a few key strokes away.
                    Key strokes? You're either an old dinosaur from before mice or a dev. Normal users only use the keyboard for a few shortcuts and to type. Get back to reality.

                    Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    I don't understand the concern with suspend. It's just a few clicks away, but I've never needed to use the menu. You can just close your laptop and it will suspend. Or press the power key on your PC and it will suspend.
                    I don't want my laptop to suspend when I close the lid. And the power in my desktop is 3m away. And doesn't even suspend. Thanks, but no thanks.

                    I have an uptime of 135 days on my desktop (broke it at 120 on my laptop, sadly). I'm using suspend several times a day, I don't want to click 3 times instead of 2 to do it. That's another extension (Simpler off menu) for basic stuff. If you want Gnome to be the least intrusive and not get in the way, you quickly pile up extensions for trivial stuff. That's how flawed it is. If there were basic options, it would solve these flaws by empowering the user to decide what's best for him.

                    Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    I respectfully disagree. Nobody wants to force anything just use what works for you.
                    Yes, they do. They've decided what's best for me (and boy, it isn't) with little configurability for me to get back to what's actually best for me. I need at the very minimum 12 external 3rd party extensions to have it somehow work for me. And the same goes with other users. They've never listened or taken responsibility for their shortcomings. It's a top-down rather than bottom-up approach.

                    Design should be able to adapt to workflows (to a maintainable extent) and not the other way around. Gnome is taking things upside down and it upsets a lot of its users over time.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 21 December 2020, 07:31 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Gnome 3 caused a collapse of Fedora's user base, which was partially saved by releasing the Spins (alternative desktops like xfce and cinnamon).

                      No other desktop has caused such a huge split in its user base than gnome3. The android/mac "mobile" interface feels great to small-time users and users who mainly work with a single application (like a browser), but everyone else plainly hates it.

                      Lets be honest, gnome3 devs insist on a UI/UX design that clearly has issues and causes a lot of pain. Essentially, they are only causing problems to their own project, by insisting on keeping up with this mobile-first design on desktops.

                      Personally, I've moved on to Cinnamon, its modern, practical, usable and clean. Plus, it uses less memory, requires less packages to run, has fewer dependencies. Gnome3 is a looser in all aspects.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X