GNOME Shell UX Continues Improving For GNOME 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Have you tried KDE on a Pinephone, try it. Then try a distro that respects itself and ships Phosh.

Ah yes, the server side decoration fraction blaming wasted vertical space in a menu you only open if you rearrange windows over workspaces/monitors or open apps.
    I have tried Plasma Mobile. It is actually quickly becoming pretty sharp, and it runs smoother than phosh thanks to full GPU acceleration in QT which Phosh does not currently have. Plus it's not even released yet. Give it a few months however and i think it will be in a daily driver state, as development has quickly accelerated now that developers have access to the pinephone as the official KDE Plasma Mobile development hardware (which will mean in the end Plasma Mobile will only get further optimizations to run better on the lower-end pinephone hardware).

Phosh might be more stable, but it too still has lots of UI booboos and bugs (Not to mention Plasma Mobile has more features).
    Last edited by Baguy; 19 December 2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The perfect desktop for people who use touch screens and tablets, everyone else, well maybe not so much. Plasma5 is serving my purposes just fine atm, minus a few hick-ups, like terrible/broken wayland support!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        So this is what all the major distributors are going to ship in a few months. Nice.
        After tweaking it and shipping it with 5-10 extensions. And another one to start with the session directly.

Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          As long time Fedora user, I sort of got used to the Gnome shell UI.
          I just put my favourite apps in the bar on the left side so I rarely have to open the apps screen.
          The thing I like most is the hot-corner acting as alt-tab..
          I got used to that so much that when I dual boot into Windows 10 that I always try to put the mouse pointer to the top left side of the screen in order to switch Windows...
          I don't even use that. Search is really nice. Just press windows key and type in.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Basic computer users depend on those who taught them how to use a desktop environment. In the case of Gnome Shell, they will feel at home with a much easier access to an application and find the Windows style approach chunky.
            Basic computer users are running Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              Basic computer users are running Windows.
              Who taught them to use Windows then? Let those basic computer users run on GNOME Shell with similar applications and see their reactions once they are back using Microsoft Windows desktop environment.

Comment

haters gotta hate, gnome devolopers gotta keep sucking.. wake up Gnome, someone please try to instill in this project some sanity, vision and engagement with your fucking community/users

Comment

I've created an issue to discuss the change to horizontal workspaces by default.

Comment

Well it's quite interesting to look at many people who have tried GNOME several years ago or even have never tried in reality to talk about or even judge GNOME design. No matter how ironical is the world. I use the GNOME every day and like the design anyway.

Comment

As someone who launches gnome-terminal upon entering a gnome session, boot-to-picker may or may not be more convenient.

Will reserve judgement until I actually tried it.

Comment

Working...
                      X