Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell UX Continues Improving For GNOME 40

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by uid313 View Post

    You can dsiable the top-left hot corner without any extension, GNOME Tweaks can do it.
    I'm very well aware. But it doesn't work with Activities Configurator (some kind of conflict from Gnome that reenables it constantly).
    And I need that extension to change that dumb "Activities" button name. With No Topleft Hot Corner, there's no random re-enablement. It's reliable.
    Last edited by Mez'; 22 December 2020, 07:48 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mez' View Post

      Plus Dash-to-dock, Unite, Activities configurator, Frippery Move Clock, No topleft Hot Corner, Multi-monitor, User Themes, and it's just off the top of my head.
      This. You will never see a beauty of GNOME while you constantly crippling it with extensions. No need to bend it to be like another half-working windows 95 clone. If you want that clone, you can use KDE/MATE/etc. Windows 95 wasn't something perfect, no point in mimicking it. Start menu was just a technical compromise, there were a few UI controls which could overlap screen content without initiating repaint, popup menu was one of them and nobody wanted to create another because of RAM saving. That's why now we have ugly little popups instead of decent launchers. Remove Dash-to-dock. Windows has taskbar to quickly switch between windows. But that isn't fast enough, you still need a second monitor to do something serious. If you have to use a mouse, just move to hot corner and use more convenient overview. If you have to switch between a couple of windows and alt-tab isn't good enough, just place them on workspaces and switch between them with super+pg(up/dn). That is better than clicking on taskbar. You don't need files on desktop, that was a bad decision from the beginning. Now we have a better place to store favorite apps, and most time desktop is covered and you need to click on "show desktop" button, this makes desktop icons just a second, less convenient, launcher. Files on desktop feature looked like something familiar to paper-era office workers, and it maybe even looks useful while there are few of them, but later desktop becomes a mess but users still stores them there because of already developed habit.

      So, try vanilla gnome. Without any extensions and with adwaita.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Veto View Post
        Is acting as a troll to create more clicks and discussion part of the "Honorary Editor" title?
        It's not "part of" it's a condition to have it. Phoronix could really be better without all this trolling

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Khrundel View Post

          This. You will never see a beauty of GNOME while you constantly crippling it with extensions. No need to bend it to be like another half-working windows 95 clone. If you want that clone, you can use KDE/MATE/etc. Windows 95 wasn't something perfect, no point in mimicking it. Start menu was just a technical compromise, there were a few UI controls which could overlap screen content without initiating repaint, popup menu was one of them and nobody wanted to create another because of RAM saving. That's why now we have ugly little popups instead of decent launchers. Remove Dash-to-dock. Windows has taskbar to quickly switch between windows. But that isn't fast enough, you still need a second monitor to do something serious. If you have to use a mouse, just move to hot corner and use more convenient overview. If you have to switch between a couple of windows and alt-tab isn't good enough, just place them on workspaces and switch between them with super+pg(up/dn). That is better than clicking on taskbar. You don't need files on desktop, that was a bad decision from the beginning. Now we have a better place to store favorite apps, and most time desktop is covered and you need to click on "show desktop" button, this makes desktop icons just a second, less convenient, launcher. Files on desktop feature looked like something familiar to paper-era office workers, and it maybe even looks useful while there are few of them, but later desktop becomes a mess but users still stores them there because of already developed habit.

          So, try vanilla gnome. Without any extensions and with adwaita.
          Huh, nope. Not a chance in the world. Vanilla Gnome gets too much in my way. I need to improve it. And I'm 2-3x faster with Dash-to-dock.
          It has nothing to do with KDE/Mate/Windows 95 or even Gnome 2 (I started with it 15 years ago), since I'm more of a Unity fan, which is the same modern metaphor as Gnome 3 (but it was 10 years ahead of Gnome 3). Also, adwaita looks as old as Windows 95, so you're contradicting yourself a bit there.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Huh, nope. Not a chance in the world. Vanilla Gnome gets too much in my way. I need to improve it. And I'm 2-3x faster with Dash-to-dock.
            It has nothing to do with KDE/Mate/Windows 95 or even Gnome 2 (I started with it 15 years ago), since I'm more of a Unity fan, which is the same modern metaphor as Gnome 3 (but it was 10 years ahead of Gnome 3). Also, adwaita looks as old as Windows 95, so you're contradicting yourself a bit there.
            I agree. You have to do what works best for your workflow. I actually did like Unity...it was convenient for me, not ideal, but I could have worked with it. Beauty and workflow is in the eye of the beholder.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Huh, nope. Not a chance in the world. Vanilla Gnome gets too much in my way. I need to improve it. And I'm 2-3x faster with Dash-to-dock.
              It has nothing to do with KDE/Mate/Windows 95 or even Gnome 2 (I started with it 15 years ago), since I'm more of a Unity fan, which is the same modern metaphor as Gnome 3 (but it was 10 years ahead of Gnome 3). Also, adwaita looks as old as Windows 95, so you're contradicting yourself a bit there.
              The dude compared everything else to win95, obviously that guy has no clue at all what he's talking about. Clearly he's a fanboy to an extreme.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                And I'm 2-3x faster with Dash-to-dock.
                I'm pretty fast with two-finger typing, much faster than when I'm trying 10 finger typing. That doesn't mean 2 fingers typing is any better.
                I was an Unity fan. After Ubuntu had switched to the Gnome, I tried to recreate same experience too. Half year later I've switched to vanilla.
                Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                It has nothing to do with KDE/Mate/Windows 95 or even Gnome 2 (I started with it 15 years ago), since I'm more of a Unity fan, which is the same modern metaphor as Gnome 3 (but it was 10 years ahead of Gnome 3).
                Moving taskbar to the left doesn't create some new metaphor, it still will be same windows 95. Stacked windows + taskbar + systray, no matter where they are. Ubuntu is still trying to mimic even deprecated behavior. Files on desktop for example, in windows 95 they've used desktop icons as favorites list, mostly because start menu was awful, then MS invented quick launch, making desktop icons useless. And now Canonical doesn't update Nautilus for years just to save these icons.
                Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Also, adwaita looks as old as Windows 95, so you're contradicting yourself a bit there.
                It is not how it looks (still adwaita + CSD are farther from windows 95 than anything else), it about how you interact with windows.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                  Moving taskbar to the left doesn't create some new metaphor, it still will be same windows 95. Stacked windows + taskbar + systray, no matter where they are. Ubuntu is still trying to mimic even deprecated behavior. Files on desktop for example, in windows 95 they've used desktop icons as favorites list, mostly because start menu was awful, then MS invented quick launch, making desktop icons useless. And now Canonical doesn't update Nautilus for years just to save these icons.
                  Moving taskbar to the left isn't. Although it's not frequent. The dash with the app grid was though, same as Gnome but way more advanced (categories 9 years ahead of Gnome - 2012 Vs 2021, interactive scopes, spelling error search....), the title bar going into the top bar, the global menu + LINs, etc... It's clearly a very different metaphor than the old Windows one.
                  I wasn't a fan of global menu, but on a laptop I don't even know how can one not use the Unite extension, it's such a waste of vertical space in a time of wide screens. Plus it's easier to grab the window (to resize it down or move to a different screen by just going all the way to the top than to target and calibrate your movement to a specific area underneath. Another thing Unity and now Unite do faster.
                  Desktop icons are not useless. I prefer my desktop uncluttered and don't need them, but please have some respect for the many people who like to work with them. You seem very well in line with Gnome devs dictatorship, trying to impose your single version of a workflow to everyone. It's crazy how Gnome hardcore (vanilla) users have some serious closemindedness issues, a lot of them (fortunately not all) refuse to acknowledge that everyone has different preferences. "They should just adapt their workflow, they refuse to change", blah blah. What a bunch of intolerant people.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 23 December 2020, 08:27 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    Moving taskbar to the left isn't. Although it's not frequent. The dash with the app grid was though, same as Gnome but way more advanced (categories 9 years ahead of Gnome - 2012 Vs 2021, interactive scopes, spelling error search....), the title bar going into the top bar, the global menu + LINs, etc... It's clearly a very different metaphor than the old Windows one.
                    I wasn't a fan of global menu, but on a laptop I don't even know how can one not use the Unite extension, it's such a waste of vertical space in a time of wide screens. Plus it's easier to grab the window (to resize it down or move to a different screen by just going all the way to the top than to target and calibrate your movement to a specific area underneath. Another thing Unity and now Unite do faster.
                    Desktop icons are not useless. I prefer my desktop uncluttered and don't need them, but please have some respect for the many people who like to work with them. You seem very well in line with Gnome devs dictatorship, trying to impose your single version of a workflow to everyone. It's crazy how Gnome hardcore (vanilla) users have some serious closemindedness issues, a lot of them (fortunately not all) refuse to acknowledge that everyone has different preferences. "They should just adapt their workflow, they refuse to change", blah blah. What a bunch of intolerant people.
                    The problem with Gnome devs is they don't care about other people's opinion, if something work for them, it must work for everyone, and it's not just about the design, bugs and lack of features that other DEs like KDE have for over a decade. I'm a Fedora user myself, but it doesn't mean I don't have any problem with it, nautilus sucks, screen lock doesn't work, customization is simple and dull, they optimize and refresh the app grid but still you can't change the size of app grid icons. They still have discussion on adding an option for selecting between dark and light theme.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post

                      The problem with Gnome devs is they don't care about other people's opinion, if something work for them, it must work for everyone, and it's not just about the design, bugs and lack of features that other DEs like KDE have for over a decade. I'm a Fedora user myself, but it doesn't mean I don't have any problem with it, nautilus sucks, screen lock doesn't work, customization is simple and dull, they optimize and refresh the app grid but still you can't change the size of app grid icons. They still have discussion on adding an option for selecting between dark and light theme.
                      They'd need a good reality check to assess their attitude, but that's not gonna happen...

                      I find kind of funny that everybody here diminishes Microsoft, but at the very least Windows has desktop icons, system tray, movable taskbar, and a dark theme.
                      All out of the box!!
                      And a couple of bonus points:
                      • When you press the win key and start typing it works like Gnome, but way better.
                        The mouse does not stutter while searching and you even have web search
                      • The lock screen is actually nice
                        I'm not asking for an automatic slideshow with integrated info and feedback, but being able to change the background easily should be the very least

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X