KDE Sees New Features, Bug Fixes Ahead Of Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It is, but not exactly innovative or anything. AmigaOS supported that many years ago and current AmigaOS releases still do. So it's actually an old feature that is just now starting to find traction within KDE.
    Yeah, I know, I've heard so. I still think its a pretty cool thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I am still on X11 and can give you anecdotal evidence only there: With my 144 Hz monitor, custom compiled kernel and everything else (mesa, libdrm, llvm and kwinft) trimmed for low-latency (compiled with optimized flags), KwinFT provides a smoother experience than stock KWin which is still acceptable but stuttery and laggy in comparison. Youtube and web browsing are opening nearly instantly and are butter smooth, but I am probably more sensitive to latency than normal users. Kwin low-latency is also a noticeable improvement which I can highly recommend over stock KWin.

By the way, the desktop experience is between day and night comparing stock Manjaro with my optimized build. Even when benchmarking Company of Heroes 2 (Proton), I get a huge improvement of 17 fps (50 vs 67 fps, a couple of weeks ago I've seen 72 fps, there were some performance regressions during the last eight weeks). Granted, I would get similar FPS on Kubuntu with the Xanmod Kernel or with a LTO'ed Kernel on openSUSE Tumbleweed with much less work, but the desktop experience would be a bit worse still and I am doing it for fun to learn a thing about compilers. I wonder why there is not a bigger push for performance from the distro vendors, especially for the desktop/gaming use case. My own experiences show me that there is still a lot of room for improvements and we haven't even tapped into LTO+PGO yet.
      Does kwin-lowlatency help if you're not using compositing? I have a 144 Hz monitor but I always have compositing disabled (to get the best gaming performance). Being on Fedora 33, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to use kwin-lowlatency instead of stock KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Well, you guys could apologize for ganging up on him and chasing him away. There were literally no reasons to refuse the Sway compatibility patches on KScreen.
        I'm familiar with the interpersonal and technical situation and would not characterize it this way. I have refrained from voicing my perspective publicly out of respect for Roman, because I think he does good work and I don't think anyone benefits when dirty laundry gets aired. But please do understand that every situation which looks simple on the surface is likely more complicated than it seems. There are rarely clear good guys and bad guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

I'm familiar with the interpersonal and technical situation and would not characterize it this way. I have refrained from voicing my perspective publicly out of respect for Roman, because I think he does good work and I don't think anyone benefits when dirty laundry gets aired. But please do understand that every situation which looks simple on the surface is likely more complicated than it seems. There are rarely clear good guys and bad guys.
          Truly said....there are always three sides to every argument or discussion: one side, the other side, and the truth. Unfortunately, the truth side never seems to come out; but it can be protected by people who have honorable intentions. Nothing is ever achieved by airing dirty laundry or personal biases. Sometimes the best thing to do is simply to keep one's mouth shut. It took me over 50 years to learn that lesson - and I do not know if I have truly learned it. Probably not.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            "With KDE Frameworks 5.78, all KDE software now supports AVIF (AV1) images when libavif is present."

Wow, this is really cool. That all software can get support for more file formats when a library is installed without that software has to do anything. So you just install a image library and all image software now can handle that file, you install a audio format and all your media players can now handle that format, that's really cool.
            That's the way 'Datatypes' worked on the Amiga, many moons ago. You install a new Datatype, and all applications can immediately use it, without evening knowing how it works for adding specific code for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

That's the way 'Datatypes' worked on the Amiga, many moons ago. You install a new Datatype, and all applications can immediately use it, without evening knowing how it works for adding specific code for it.
              Yeah, really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Does kwin-lowlatency help if you're not using compositing? I have a 144 Hz monitor but I always have compositing disabled (to get the best gaming performance). Being on Fedora 33, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to use kwin-lowlatency instead of stock KWin.
                Compositing can be toggled with a shortcut. Keeping it permanently disabled just to improve performance in games seems a little heavy handed.
                Last edited by bug77; 20 December 2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Disman and KDisplay are much better than the Plasma counterparts KScreen/libkscreen. Just now when I installed a new system and I wanted to adjust the scaling on Plasma Wayland, there was no option to do that... well for whatever reason this is not always there (bug report exists). Then I switched to KDisplay and Disman. First it used a scaling that was already quite good to read and secondly it allowed me to change the scaling. From my point of view the Plasma devs should be more open to include the nice changes done for Disman and KDisplay.
                  Regarding KWinFT, it's great to see how some of the fundamentals to be cleaned up and modernized. I just feel it would have been better to only focus on Wayland and remove X11 at this stage. Supporting both seems like a hugh amount of work and many users of KWin on X11 will probably not switch to KWinFT anyway. KWinFT on Wayland is not yet better than KWin Wayland for my use cases, but it seems that like the next release might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

You have to ask tildearrow who is the author. As there is a COPR repo for it, I'd say it is worth a try (see: https://github.com/tildearrow/kwin-lowlatency for details).

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

They still do: even current AmigaOS versions support this still.

Comment

Working...
                      X