Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better WebRTC Support Is Coming To Chrome/Chromium For Benefiting Wayland Screen Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=jrch2k8;n1227143]

Because is the biggest browser market share ... it should be obvious at this point .../QUOTE]

If that is the main reason, then Red Hat should contribute to Windows instead of Linux because it's "obvious at this point that Windows has the biggest market share".

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Ok, but why Red hat contributes to Google's spyware browser instead of Firefox ?
      And before anyone asks, what spyware, please have a look at Chromium forks that try to remove it since it's quite a lot.
      Because Chromium is the upstream for the most popular web browser and most of the runners up. Nothing about Chromium is forcing you to run the Google spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not working for me. Do I need something else instead of Intel hardware (or more recent than two year old Intel hardware)?
        Personally, in the "chrome:flags" tab, I activate the switches for "Override software rendering list" and "Hardware-accelerated video decode", then do the restart.

With that said, my understanding is that the hardware acceleration should function for whatever codec your GPU had support for. Mine is h264 and h265. Websites like Vimeo and Daylymotion stream videos on h264 up to 4k/60fps. Youtube on the other hand, streams VP9 by default in desktop/laptop browsers. The problem is, only GPUs launched very recently support it. And even if they did, is not guaranteed that Firefox or Chrome support hardware acceleration of VP9 on Linux.

With all that shenanigans aside, try to install the "h264fy" extension. It will force Youtube to stream the video to you in h264 codec (shown as "avc1" on the "statistics for nerds" video menu), so is a sure way to see if the acceleration is working for you. The downside is that YT only offer h264 streams up to 1080p/60fps. Here, in a old i7 3770k (stock), total CPU usage in System Monitor is around 10%, with individual active browser process around 3%. If you check CPU usage in Htop on the terminal, the values are much higher and look wrong, though.
        Last edited by M@GOid; 19 December 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Ok, but why Red hat contributes to Google's spyware browser instead of Firefox ?
          because most people use it. and maybe those people are redhat customers
          And before anyone asks, what spyware, please have a look at Chromium forks that try to remove it since it's quite a lot.
          which means all those forks benefit from redhat work, right?

Comment

If that is the main reason, then Red Hat should contribute to Windows instead of Linux because it's "obvious at this point that Windows has the biggest market share".
            sure, when ms opensources windows, redhat will contribute to it

Comment

Not working for me. Do I need something else instead of Intel hardware (or more recent than two year old Intel hardware)?
              What videos did you test with? YouTube has started using AV1 for many of it's videos now, so unless you're running Tigerlake, those won't be hardware accelerated.

Comment

Working...
              X