Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better WebRTC Support Is Coming To Chrome/Chromium For Benefiting Wayland Screen Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better WebRTC Support Is Coming To Chrome/Chromium For Benefiting Wayland Screen Sharing

Phoronix: Better WebRTC Support Is Coming To Chrome/Chromium For Benefiting Wayland Screen Sharing

In recent years Red Hat engineers have been contributing to WebRTC in Chromium and related projects as part of Wayland screen sharing support that also works with the likes of PipeWire and XDG-Desktop-Portal. Looking forward to 2021, more WebRTC improvements in Chromium/Chrome are on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On a unrelated news, currently on Chrome-beta 88 video hardware acceleration is working just fine. Just flip those switches on About:Flags and you are good to go, easier than in Firefox.

Comment

This is a damn good news!
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Ok, but why Red hat contributes to Google's spyware browser instead of Firefox ?
        And before anyone asks, what spyware, please have a look at Chromium forks that try to remove it since it's quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Ok, but why Red hat contributes to Google's spyware browser instead of Firefox ?
          And before anyone asks, what spyware, please have a look at Chromium forks that try to remove it since it's quite a lot.
          You got me. I'm looking for a fork that will disable auto-play natively, rather than requiring 3rd-party spyware to stop unwanted video.

Comment

Because is the biggest browser market share ... it should be obvious at this point ... but that does not discard Firefox could come next

Comment

Because Chromium is the upstream for libwebrtc, which is then reused in Firefox.

Very simple and pragmatic reason.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because Chromium is the upstream for libwebrtc, which is then reused in Firefox.

Very simple and pragmatic reason.
                Exactly: Red Hat has not interest in Chromium since they ship Firefox by default.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

We have people working on Firefox as well (in the same team). So it’s as well as, not instead of.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    On a unrelated news, currently on Chrome-beta 88 video hardware acceleration is working just fine. Just flip those switches on About:Flags and you are good to go, easier than in Firefox.
                    Not working for me. Do I need something else instead of Intel hardware (or more recent than two year old Intel hardware)?

Comment

Working...
                    X