GTK 4.0 Toolkit Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    Firefox is also evidence of a project that has successfully integrated Rust into a predominantly C/C++ project
    lol, you put firefox, rust and success in one sentence. the only thing missing is layoffs

Comment

Why GTK 4.0 and not some more reasonable number, like 140.0?

Comment

C++ is a terrible choice for a general purpose GUI library because the C++ ABI breaks all of the time.
        your brain breaks every time you try to post something
        Even though C has its fair share of problems, one of its redeeming features is having an ultra stable ABI (talking decade, or even more here).
        c++'s abi stability story is superior to c, it has inline namespaces

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          I think printf is easier to use than std::cout
          std::cout is so 1980s. you should use std::format

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
            for anyone writing Gnome programs, I recommend looking at Rust instead of C.
            for anyone writing any programs, i recommend looking at c++ instead of c

Comment

Well I just realized this will not be a problem for an elitism community
              he is from imbecilic community rather than elitist one

Comment

If you consider name mangling as part of the ABI (which you reasonably should) then it does break very often.
                first, mangling is not part of c++, i.e. imbeciles can't say "c++ breaks abi" in this case, they can only say "gcc breaks abi" for example. second, it doesn't break very often
                The matter of fact is, C++ is much more complex than C which makes it harder to provide a reasonably stable ABI (in practical terms).
                the matter of fact is, providing abi is much simpler task than writing application itself, i.e. you are optimizing for wrong metric. but hey, it's expected from rust zealots

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  kpedersen It’s GTK these days. The + was removed some time ago.
                  I could simply have been referring to Gtk+2. Outside of toy desktop environments that is still vastly the most popular. Version 3 took too long to correctly support other platforms so it missed the window for a number of our projects.

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  [USER="68985"]
                  Of course Debian’s GNOME team is super fast but as a general rule your mind processing shouldn’t be slower than Debian packaging..
                  Nah, they are really just inconsistent (like most things in Linux). Check out part of the rust bindings here:

"Rust Bindings for the GTK+ 3 library"

I don't care about "modern" names at all. Consistency is more important to me. I think that is generally agreed upon by many projects (https://openports.se/x11/gtk+4). It will probably remain Gtk+ long after Gtk actually becomes obsolete and replaced with another software.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 17 December 2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

The ABI problem is not only about the breakages, but also the incompatibilities.
                    One can compile a C library with GCC and link it with Clang, or vise versa, but this won't work for C++.
                    it will work with c++ because they use same itanium abi. what won't work is mixing of different standard libraries for example, but it will not work with c libraries too

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      Anyway, huge pain points in GUI toolkits is multi threading. C++ won't help here. Sure, there are mutexes, however, the language won't help you to make sure everything is threadsafe.
                      no language will help with that. right use of c++ will make writing correct multithreaded programs much easier.
                      Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      I recall multithreading being a huge PITA in Qt.
                      qt is bad example of c++ library, i don't even consider it c++

Comment

Working...
                      X