Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 4.0 Toolkit Officially Released

Phoronix: GTK 4.0 Toolkit Officially Released

GTK 4.0 has been officially released as the latest major iteration of this open-source toolkit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is it still based on c?

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
      is it still based on c?
      I presume that your real question is "why is still written in C?" but just in case:
      GTK is a free and open-source cross-platform widget toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.

Comment

GTK4! Any pictures of apps ported to the new toolkit?

Oh wait... nitpick
        WHY IS "Peg Solitaire" TITLE IN DEJAVU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total lack of QA! That is like if Microsoft were to use Tahoma/System on Windows 10 UI or Apple using Lucida on macOS!

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

I presume that your real question is "why is still written in C?" but just in case:
          https://gtk.org/docs/language-bindings/
          C is not a programming language, it's a state of mind, it is an anarchy of its own special kind.

Comment

The question is will this conceivably fix the absolute mess that is GNOME and the answer is invariably no.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              The question is will this conceivably fix the absolute mess that is GNOME and the answer is invariably no.
              And will you help in fixing that opensource software or the answer is invariably no?

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                is it still based on c?
                There is an interesting post about Gnome (not only Gtk): https://hpjansson.org/blag/2020/12/1...ying-of-gnome/
                I'm guessing having* to use C is the main factor of "Although recruitment is stable, newcomers don’t seem to be hitting their stride in terms of commits."

* Yes I know there is no formal requirement that you must write something in C, but I also don't think newcomers will feel easy in a C dormant community when their main PL is something else - especially when they're trying to contribute to an existing project.

Comment

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
                  And will you help in fixing that opensource software or the answer is invariably no?
                  You’re saying open source as though to imply the project isn’t funded by corporations and has full time staff.

Comment

Will GTK4's GPU acceleration support OpenGL 2.0 that the Pinephone's GPU supports?

QT already supports full GPU acceleration on the Mali 400 with GL 2.0... But if GTK4 can too, then phosh will finally be competitive in performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X