X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    that's not the only kind of errors in multithreaded programs, so rust will not make your threading bugfree
    True. Nobody said language X would make your programs bug-free. You are free to add all the logic errors you would like.

you can use such pattern in c++ if it suits your application
    Keep in mind that sending values around in C++ is not necessarily thread-safe, IF they contain pointers to other data.
    Also, std::shared_pointer can easily be mutated from different threads.
    Anyway, what libraries can you recommend?

"based" only matters for its developers. for users gtkmm is much better example
    I agree, gtkmm is cleaner. But it is hardy used. Even on Linux, most GTK apps are not using gtkmm.
    Last edited by oleid; 17 December 2020, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    Not for a GUI library its not (at least if you don't want the API to be retarded).
    it's unclear how retardedness of api makes providing abi easier and writing programs harder. care to elaborate?
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    As pointed out elsewhere, Rust is picking up steam in Gnome
    last language picking up steam in gnome was vala

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    Rust will make sure that you don't accidentally share references across threads. And thus, racy reference dangling will simply not happen.
    that's not the only kind of errors in multithreaded programs, so rust will not make your threading bugfree
    The prime pattern for multi-threading in rust is message passing.
    you can use such pattern in c++ if it suits your application
    Maybe, but it is THE example for a c++ based GUI toolkit.
    "based" only matters for its developers. for users gtkmm is much better example

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    It's a feature imho. Qt API uses jest the right, minimal subset of C++. Would you really prefer std::function and std::bind clutter instead of connect and slots?
    i would prefer signal support in c++ like several real c++ libraries do, instead of moc language. i would prefer not seeing pointers sticking out of every hole. i would prefer standard types instead of qt-only bullshit. i'm sure there would be much more things i prefer if i used qt
    Would that really make it more readable and easier to use?
    yes. for c++ programmers that is(qt programmers aren't c++ programmers)
    ​​​​​​
    Out of curiosity, ​do you consider boost as good example of C++ library?
    yes. and it can implement signals in c++

Leave a comment:

• hsci
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes. DebianXfce will return from the dead to oversee GTK4 adoption and restart his campaign for Xfce world dominance. In fact, rumor has it that he already started GTK5 adoption!
    Haha

Geeqie is finally approaching Gtk3. And maybe we will see Gimp on Gtk3 soon, too.
    I'm still suprised, that MySQL-Workbenach and LibreOffice were faster.

Leave a comment:

• hsci
    replied
    Congratulations Gtk developers
    And thanks for finally removing the + postfix. Maybe the C++ bindings are now free to use "gtkpp" instead of "gtkmm"?

Nothing is wrong in using C as toolkit language. In long term it serves a stable base and a good point to add language bindings upon it. Especially as C++ developer I appreciate the possibility in using the C++ bindings or even plain C to reach for the inner stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    The real question is... Will adopt XFCE4 the GTK4 before the GTK6 will be released?
    Yes. DebianXfce will return from the dead to oversee GTK4 adoption and restart his campaign for Xfce world dominance. In fact, rumor has it that he already started GTK5 adoption!

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    no language will help with that
    Well, it depends... Rust will make sure that you don't accidentally share references across threads. And thus, racy reference dangling will simply not happen.
    The prime pattern for multi-threading in rust is message passing. There is even a nice wrapper for GTK called relm, which uses a model/view architecture.

qt is bad example of c++ library, i don't even consider it c++
    Maybe, but it is THE example for a c++ based GUI toolkit.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Would you really prefer std::function and std::bind clutter instead of connect and slots? Would that really make it more readable and easier to use?
    Well it *would* actually make it standard C++. I feel that is important.

It is not an easy task to maintain an old MOC toolchain just to build a slightly older Qt3 based program. The same will be true in the future when trying to maintain your current Qt4-5 projects. Standard C++ is the key here and Qt drops the ball a little when it comes to this.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 17 December 2020, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    no language will help with that. right use of c++ will make writing correct multithreaded programs much easier.
    qt is bad example of c++ library, i don't even consider it c++
    It's a feature imho. Qt API uses jest the right, minimal subset of C++. Would you really prefer std::function and std::bind clutter instead of connect and slots? Would that really make it more readable and easier to use?
    ​​​​​​Out of curiosity, ​do you consider boost as good example of C++ library?
    Last edited by reavertm; 17 December 2020, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X