X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by _r00t- View Post

I agree. GTK+ is a great toolkit. I don't think that it will suit great on MacOS for the moment.
    I think it will suit it quite well. In the past half decade MacOS has moved to a theme that is similar to Adwaita (but with different shades of grey), headerbars etc. Visually it should be a good mix.

As for GIMP, AFAIK the Windows version was slow to start due to an issue with creating a font cache. I remember reading that this has been changed to ab asynchronous and the slow downs are no longer present.

Leave a comment:

• baryluk
    replied
    OpenGL is fine. We can always run zink on top of MoltenVK on top of Metal. sic, but yes.

Leave a comment:

• _r00t-
    replied
    Originally posted by dirlewanger88

It's a mediocre toolkit, with an absolutely terrible approach to backwards compatibility. JWZ's 17 year old rant about the GNOME project is even more true today than it was back then.

If you think GTK is "great" you almost certainly haven't used it seriously for any length of time.
    I prefer QT but GTK is fine.

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    What about better Windows support? GIMP takes 10 minutes to start on Windows.
    GIMP still uses Gtk2, so...

Leave a comment:

• _r00t-
    replied
    Originally posted by elduderino View Post

Shrug. Everyone complains that the toolkit isn't cross-platform enough so I take some extra time to fix that and I'm welcomed with useless posts like this. Good times.
    I agree. GTK+ is a great toolkit. I don't think that it will suit great on MacOS for the moment.

Leave a comment:

• igxqrrl
    replied
    Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
    Most useless information for this month.
    This post is unintentionally self-referential. Neat!

Leave a comment:

• elduderino
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    No Vulkan, DirectX and Metal? Rally?
    There is a Vulkan backend already. You can try it with GSK_RENDERER=vulkan.

DirectX and Metal are more interesting in that you still probably want things like GtkGLArea to work on top of them and composite with the rest of the UI. With Vulkan that's fairly easy.

Leave a comment:

• elduderino
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    The GTK 4 Windows backend does support OpenGL rendering already. Of course that doesn't help GIMP yet which is on GTK 3.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    No Vulkan, DirectX and Metal? Rally?

GTK4 is taking ages to materialize.

Will Gimp be ported to GTK4 before 2022?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X