Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Still faster than Photoshop, lol
    Photoshop takes less than 30 seconds to start on my parents' computer (which is even older than where I ran GIMP on)

Even Krita starts faster, but we're leaving the topic...

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post

If Apple doesn't provide support, documentation and drivers to run Linux on their hardware, this "project" is already dead and Apple doesn't really support Linux. This is just some poor sod who wants to earn a few bucks while having fun. It's not a serious project, just more crap for the apple fans on r/apple.

What's the point of improving the support of gtk4 for the mac? Sounds like a fun exercise, but where's the goat?
      Agreed, Apple doesn't support Linux, but that's different than actively blocking it.

Anyways, the reason to improve GTK4 on macOS is the same reason you want to improve any open-source application or framework on Windows or macOS: Open frameworks that support all OSes well get more applications built using them, applications built using them are more likely to be cross-platform, and users that primarily use cross-platform applications are more likely to be willing to switch OSes as most of the applications they already use are supported out-of-the-box on said OS.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Photoshop takes less than 30 seconds to start on my parents' computer (which is even older than where I ran GIMP on)

Even Krita starts faster, but we're leaving the topic...
        I said "lol" because it was meant to be a joke. But I guess it comes down to platform then? 'Cause I have seen Marques Brownlee start Photoshop on macOS before M1 and it took forever to load, and he has pretty well-specced Macs...

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post
          Shrug. Everyone complains that the toolkit isn't cross-platform enough so I take some extra time to fix that and I'm welcomed with useless posts like this. Good times.
          Jep, that sucks. :/

There's value to having the POTENTIAL to be used cross-platform, even if the platform in question is one that "isn't interested in" OSS: it nearly always ends up helping point out iffy code etc. And there's value to it for OSS devs *in general* who use GTK for their apps: Firefox, Handbrake, and so on get an easier life creating and/or supporting builds on those platforms. (IDK if Handbrake uses GTK or not, it's just an example of a cross-platform tool that even IOS users might use).

Maybe the dickishness is just from people who think the time would be better spent fixing bugs and lost functionality caused by the move from GTK2 to GTK3, who feel like they're "more important" than users of other platforms, or something like that. *shrug*.

Comment

Working...
          X