Zrythm Inches Closer To v1.0 As Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zrythm Inches Closer To v1.0 As Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Phoronix: Zrythm Inches Closer To v1.0 As Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Earlier this year we covered Zrythm as an open-source digital audio workstation that is cross-platform, supports a wide variety of plug-ins, and built atop GTK3. Back then it was on the pre-1.0 version numbering while this weekend marks the release of 1.0 Alpha 6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zrythm has a pretty interesting user interface for being a GTK 3 application, it is very much unlike most other GTK 3 applications. The developer's must be very good at GTK, I wonder how much they have struggled. It would be interesting to see Zrythm ported to GTK 4 when that gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Zrythm has a pretty interesting user interface for being a GTK 3 application, it is very much unlike most other GTK 3 applications. The developer's must be very good at GTK, I wonder how much they have struggled. It would be interesting to see Zrythm ported to GTK 4 when that gets released.
      All I see is just a standard looking GTK3 application with the addition of the menus in the header bar. I wish both Qt and GTK could agree on that style of CSD; possibly with a method to convert the text menus to icons for touch modes and smaller screens. I suppose when you're primarily a KDE Plasma user and you use limited GTK programs that don't follow the GNOME style, like GIMP, Steam, Firefox, and Pulseeffects, Zrythm doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary.

For me it'll be really interesting when I get all the stuff to hook my bass up to my PC without the Rocksmith cable so I can actually try this out. I have a powered splitter/bypass pedal under the Christmas tree that should do the trick. If that doesn't work I'm gonna have to step it up and buy a decent mixer board or Focusrite or something like that. I want to be done spending bass money and save for a new PC so I really hope it does the trick...well, aside from $100 on a Glarry fretless...

Because I'm my family's primary internet and computer person I ended up buying my Christmas presents for other family members. They all wanted to use my Amazon account. Is anyone else in that position where you know every singe thing under the tree that you're getting but you can't open anything so there's a Christmas? It sucks I really want my flatwounds

Comment

They did it wrong!! There isn't nearly enough whitespace!! jk...

Seriously tho, it would've looked so much cleaner with exactly the same layout with Qt widgets... GTK was specifically intended to expose as much whitespace as conceivably possible to end users, so this thing here looks incredibly cluttered. The borders between elements are ginormous!

It looks quite a bit like "round peg meets square hole". (Using a widget set designed for maximum whitespace while trying to leave the least amount of whitespace)
        Last edited by duby229; 13 December 2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Seriously tho, it would've looked so much cleaner with exactly the same layout with Qt widgets... GTK was specifically intended to expose as much whitespace as conceivably possible to end users, so this thing here looks incredibly cluttered. The borders between elements are ginormous!

It looks quite a bit like "round peg meets square hole". (Using a widget set designed for maximum whitespace while trying to leave the least amount of whitespace)
          It looks much better than lmms that's using Qt.

Comment

GTK was specifically intended to expose as much whitespace as conceivably possible to end users,...
            Sorry, but what? Some themes (well known offender: Adwaita) blow widgets up to (what I think are) ridiculous sizes. The whitespace between widgets is however fully up to the programmer. Margins are 0px by default, the spacing in containers is either 0px by default or is given as argument to the constructor of the container. Having no whitespace between widgets isn't a good idea so developers almost always assign custom margins or spacing values.

Comment

The majority of widgets in Zrythm are custom, while also using custom themes, i.e. everything in the design is mostly intentional.

Comment

How does this compare to LMMS?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because I'm my family's primary internet and computer person I ended up buying my Christmas presents for other family members. They all wanted to use my Amazon account. Is anyone else in that position where you know every singe thing under the tree that you're getting but you can't open anything so there's a Christmas? It sucks
                  I do but for different reasons...no one knows what to get me for Christmas, so my wife ends up pestering me for a list and then she divvies it out to the kids (and the grandson).

Back on topic, this seems very interesting. I wonder, at least from the musical instrument stand point, how well it would work with various foot petals and effects (I have an ancient vacuum tube powered stomp box that sounds beautiful in a clean mode and shreds the walls when set into overdrive).

GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    All I see is just a standard looking GTK3 application with the addition of the menus in the header bar. I wish both Qt and GTK could agree on that style of CSD; possibly with a method to convert the text menus to icons for touch modes and smaller screens. I suppose when you're primarily a KDE Plasma user and you use limited GTK programs that don't follow the GNOME style, like GIMP, Steam, Firefox, and Pulseeffects, Zrythm doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary.
                    No, I am a GNOME user, but Zhythm seems to have its own custom styled widgets for knobs. Most GTK applications are not styled and just follow the GNOME HIG as they should.

Comment

Working...
                    X