No announcement yet.

KDE's Development Focus Ahead Of The Holidays Has Been About Better Usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Development Focus Ahead Of The Holidays Has Been About Better Usability

Phoronix: KDE's Development Focus Ahead Of The Holidays Has Been About Better Usability

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly development summary highlighting the desktop project's changes for the week. WebRTC support with the screencast code in Plasma now works on Wayland, but the Plasma Wayland changes are lighter than we've seen in recent weeks. Instead the emphasis this week seems to have been on enhancing KDE's usability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No idea about usability, but I can appreciate the tickbox in Okular settings for disabling Smooth Scrolling.

It's a shame snail scrolling is still enabled by default, but at the very least it can be disabled now.

Comment

I'm a long time KDE user and one thing that astonish me is this longstanding open bug:

After playing a game fullscreen with a different resolution, all desktop icons have changed position...
      Never seen this with KDE4 or other desktops.

Comment

Michael This is a bit out of left field, but since this article is about scrolling and usability, could you update the site's theme so the scroll bars from the main page and articles are used in the forums? Those ones are so much more useful than the grey on grey color scheme the forum scroll bars use.

Comment

Michael Possible typo

New default shortcuts for moving the active window to another virtual kedesktop (Metral + Ctrl + Shift + Arrow Keys) or to another screen (Meta + Shift + Arrow Keys).

Should that be Meta + Ctrl + Shift + Arrow Keys?
          Last edited by f0rmat; 12 December 2020, 09:58 AM. Reason: Bolded possible correction
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
            With Plasma 5.21, after manually mounting a removable disk the first time it will be automatically auto-mounted all subsequent times the removable disk is attached.
            Why the heck will I want this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruvv View Post
              I'm a long time KDE user and one thing that astonish me is this longstanding open bug:

After playing a game fullscreen with a different resolution, all desktop icons have changed position...
              Never seen this with KDE4 or other desktops.
              I concur with this. It's pretty annoying and should be fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Why the heck will I want this?
                Well it seems to be a good middle ground between auto mounting everything and manually mounting everything. So if I attach stuff I don't use (or which has multiple partitions I don't use) I wouldn't want to auto mount everything. On the other hand, if I regularly use one of those partitions, I wouldn't want to manually remount them all the time. With this new feature it would basically remember "ah, you actually use that drive?" and keep mount it again.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

Well it seems to be a good middle ground between auto mounting everything and manually mounting everything. So if I attach stuff I don't use (or which has multiple partitions I don't use) I wouldn't want to auto mount everything. On the other hand, if I regularly use one of those partitions, I wouldn't want to manually remount them all the time. With this new feature it would basically remember "ah, you actually use that drive?" and keep mount it again.
                  I am fairly out of touch with desktop environments that people subject themselves to these days. But isn't the best solution to just mount something when you double click it or try to open it up in the file manager?

Or if this is so you can plug it in but then access it immediately in a terminal emulator, I guess KDE is playing catch up with ancient auto mounting tools that already existed since the dawn of time (but I suppose this stuff keeps getting forgotten and re-invented every few years).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    With Plasma 5.21, after manually mounting a removable disk the first time it will be automatically auto-mounted all subsequent times the removable disk is attached.
                    I hope this can be disabled, because I have specific mount paths for my drives...

Comment

Working...
                    X