CUPS' Founder Releases PAPPL 1.0 As Modern Printer Application Framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS' Founder Releases PAPPL 1.0 As Modern Printer Application Framework

Phoronix: CUPS' Founder Releases PAPPL 1.0 As Modern Printer Application Framework

Just one week shy of one year since CUPS founder Michael Sweet left Apple, which in turn seemingly led to the downfall of CUPS, PAPPL 1.0 has been released as his modern alternative printer application framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CUPS never worked reliably for me on Linux, and I ended up using Google Cloud Print. Since Cloud Print is getting the typical Google treatment (cancelled), maybe I'll try this.

Comment

I have the feeling he does not like what Apple did to CUPS. I guess I would work on something entirely differently new than starting yet another printing framework yet again, ...

Comment

Hmmm ... I don't print that often but when I tried the other day I found that the CUPS service wasn't running. It turned out that on Arch the systemd service name had changed from org.cups.cupsd.socket to cups.socket. I wonder if that has something to do with this changing of the guard. I thought it was odd to change such a historically well known service name out of the blue.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          PAPPL embedsa an IPP server,

Comment

Printer manufacturers have been among the worst when it comes to hardware support with Linux. Every one has their proprietary stupidity. Whether it is HP with the requirement to reinstall the same driver every time you update the kernel or Canon that doesn't support Linux at all with their pro level printers so I have spent more paying for third party printer drivers though Turbo Print than I did buying the actual printer. If this project does any thing to improve the situation it will have my full support. But my worry is that this rolls out and the printer manufacturers just keep half assing it on the Linux front.

Comment

Paper? Ink?? Printers??? Problems with printers???? ... Is it the 80's again?

It's 2020. Get paperless!

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                Printer manufacturers have been among the worst when it comes to hardware support with Linux. Every one has their proprietary stupidity. Whether it is HP with the requirement to reinstall the same driver every time you update the kernel or Canon that doesn't support Linux at all with their pro level printers so I have spent more paying for third party printer drivers though Turbo Print than I did buying the actual printer. If this project does any thing to improve the situation it will have my full support. But my worry is that this rolls out and the printer manufacturers just keep half assing it on the Linux front.
                I thought Richard Stallman's experience with Xerox source code licensing on a printer was the lore that started Free software movement. Maybe someone can fact check this.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  I have the feeling he does not like what Apple did to CUPS. I guess I would work on something entirely differently new than starting yet another printing framework yet again, ...
                  I think that when you're an expert in something, you like working in that particular field

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    Hmmm ... I don't print that often but when I tried the other day I found that the CUPS service wasn't running. It turned out that on Arch the systemd service name had changed from org.cups.cupsd.socket to cups.socket. I wonder if that has something to do with this changing of the guard. I thought it was odd to change such a historically well known service name out of the blue.
                    So that's what happened, I didn't feel like fixing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X