Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 6.0-RC1 Stacks 740 Patches Atop Upstream Wine

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 6.0-RC1 Stacks 740 Patches Atop Upstream Wine

Following yesterday's release of Wine 6.0-RC1 that is kicking off the release process for this annual release of Wine, the Wine-Staging experimental/testing blend of Wine is also updated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are you guys happy with Wine?
    Do you use any non-games software with it? If so, which?

Wine is popular among gamers, and Valve is contributing through Proton, but is non-game software working under Wine? Is it thornier?

What is your disappointments with Wine, and whats on your wishlist for Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Wine is popular among gamers, and Valve is contributing through Proton, but is non-game software working under Wine? Is it thornier?

Yes, its just about the same for non-games anymore as it is for games really. Some will have problems, some won't. I'm using a Windows version of a debugger and assembly editor through wine right now and its just fine. Valve's involvement and the other people who started contributing to Wine over the past two years or so has helped a huge amount. Before that, I hated wine for everything literally.

Today, it works most of the time (percentage varies based on the stuff you try to do though). Some software no one works on things needed for it, so it will be broken. But a lot works. The fixes they make for games, applications use many of the same things. They're both software that create windows, use audio, use input, mouse clicks, window's .dll files like media foundation, etc.

Wine still needs many improvements but they're really pushing forward. So, lots of problems people will run into but if you really want to play or use something and in Linux then today it works really well. Its also quite a mess and most people who run into problems just won't understand how to fix them if they can (even those who can, it can be difficult). Not everything is automatic and there's a bunch of stuff that might change a non-working application into a working one.

But, if you use a lot of Windows applications, Windows is still going to be the only way to make full use of everything as well as possible. I prefer a combination of both. If it works good enough in Linux, I usually go with that, but there are things that I will go into Windows for.
      Last edited by ix900; 05 December 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

With staging 6.0-rc1 + faudio 20.12 watchdogs have sound and in my case without crackling

Comment

Disappointments are not with Wine. The method it uses itself is the disappointment imo. The vulkan translations are always add additional layer of processing, that adds extra burden on the hardware & not efficient as native software. Yes, it can run non-native software in a non-native environment. But my point is never expect better performance than native as per Wine...

Comment

Disappointment and wishlist: support for reasonably new MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (64bit would be a bonus).

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Disappointment and wishlist: support for reasonably new MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (64bit would be a bonus).
              Looks like it's a too much ask for linux. We know microsoft never delivers.

Comment

Working...
              X