Scheiße! KDE Plasma 5.21 To Add Palette For Easier Input Of Accented Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Well, I am typing this on a Sun Type 7 keyboard I found lying around two years ago, and which I use as my primary keyboard.

There is indeed a compose key, but it triggers the (in my opinion useless) context menu pop-up. Do you happen to have any idea about this? There are some DIP switches, but documentation is hard to come by...
    Don't flip the dips. I'm using Gnome but I think KDE will be similar: The compose key can be set in Gnome Tweaks->Keyboard and mouse->Compose key. I would try to assign it to "Menu" as you stated the compose key behaves like the context menu.

btw: The DIP switches are for l10n only as explained here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Sun_Type_7
    Last edited by George99; 06 December 2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

How much does this interfere with long-press => autorepeat ?

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
        I'm wondering something similar. Wouldn't a longpress in an input field just autorepeat? Is there some key or key combo to trigger this instead of the normal autorepeat behavior?

Comment

Envious US-keyboard users?

Things you can type with an Alt-Gr key:
          * Punctuation/math: –, —, «»“” · × ¬ ± ºC π
          * Deutsch: Herr Überbeßerwißer
          * Svenska: Världen är ett smörgåsbord
          * Íslenska: Ég veit það
          * Français: Mon cœur est à la voiture, un Citroën.
          * Español: ¿Eres tú, señor Mañana?

I can speak for the standard Norwegian keyboard layout: It is surely unergonomic to program on, but I have yet to meet a European language I can't write in (apart from cyrillic). It has Alt-Gr, Shift+Alt-Gr and dead-key combos, which is like having another keyboard of symbols plus the two-key combos for putting on all kinds of accents.
          Last edited by andreano; 06 December 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I can't believe it; everyone went off-topic from the very first comment of the thread...
            The true strength of a geek community (I have nothing valuable to add, but I did appreciate the discussion, learned a few German words and had a few laughs)

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

* Punctuation/math: –, —, «»“” · × ¬ ± ºC π
              * Deutsch: Herr Überbeßerwißer
              * Svenska: Världen är ett smörgåsbord
              * Íslenska: Ég veit það
              * Français: Mon cœur est à la voiture, un Citroën.
              * Español: ¿Eres tú, señor Mañana?

I can speak for the standard Norwegian keyboard layout: It is surely unergonomic to program on, but I have yet to meet a European language I can't write in (apart from cyrillic). It has Alt-Gr, Shift+Alt-Gr and dead-key combos, which is like having another keyboard of symbols plus the two-key combos for putting on all kinds of accents.
              Ελληνικά? (Sorry I cheated, that capital epsilon was copied from a character table)

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

*laughs in Compose key*

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
                  Always RTFA before commenting. "Naturally, the feature can be disabled (on the System Settings keyboard page) if you prefer the current behavior to repeat the held-down key."

Comment

> Always RTFA before commenting

The question was not "does this interfere", but "how much does this interfere". Are the two things mutually exclusive? Is the feature just limited to some keys (e.g., vowels that can get an accent)? Are keys for which the feature might not be relevant still autorepeating (space for instance) or does autorepeat get disabled also for them?

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

Notice everyone who complained is German..? When you don't speak a language, foreign profanity all sounds equally harmless, even though it sounds weird and out of place to native speakers.

You're probably an Amerimutt - famous the world over for being culturally oblivious.
                      And you're most certainly wrong. I'm from (and lives in) a neighboring country to Germany. I know many Germans or Austrians and they've never been offended by the word, except if you're being annoying and repeat it ad nauseam of course.

People should stop trying to guess or extrapolate. It often backfires and they don't look good afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X