Scheiße! KDE Plasma 5.21 To Add Palette For Easier Input Of Accented Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holunder View Post

Just in combinations like "krasser Scheiß!" (would ~ translate it to "crazy shit"), but just "Scheiße" usually means a demotion. It’s pretty similar to English, actually.
    I thought of such (and similar) combinations: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22s...st+das+geil%22

Comment

I can accept you don't share my point about that not being the best word for an example. No harm done. Still strikes me as odd.

Comment

Originally posted by FSMaxB View Post
        phoronix Are you aware, that "Scheiße!" means "shit" in german?

Not sure why the title of the article starts with that.
        "shit" can also be used in a positive way. "Shit bro, this stuff is good!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          For the fun of it.

In the good old days when Sun was still shining their keyboards had a compose key in order to create such letters. I'm still using this key but now mapped to the right "Windows" Key (right super key). So ß can be composed with RWin-s-s and Motörhead with Rwin-o-"...
          Nice, I like that compose button idea. Although I'll keep using dead letters for that so that "-o=ö, "-u=ü, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
            Zażółć gęślą jaźń. Well, there are no accented characters or diacritics in that sentence actually, despite what you might think at a first glance. These are separate letters, not "normal" letters with accents.

If you actually read the blog post, you will see it is not about "accented characters", but in general alternative characters, so ß does fit into that.
            Looks like diacritics to me. The characters might have their own code points, but that still would be mostly characters with diacritics, no?

I agree that it's not only about characters with diacritics, but more about modifiable characters in sensible groups. Can we come up with a name for these not "normal" characters?

Comment

I can't believe it; everyone went off-topic from the very first comment of the thread...

Comment

If there is something offensive at all the it's the comments here ...

Comment

This will be great. This is how Android keyboard works and is super convenient. I am learning Deutsch and have to have a keyboard layout for typing the äöü characters while actually hate the rest of the symbols arrangement. BTW KDE on Kubuntu 20.04 LTS rocks.

Comment

I'm sorry, as a German, "scheisse" has a negative connotation and is misplaced in this heading (shouldn't appear in any heading of media which deems itself serious). Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                      ... as a German
                      Isn't Michael too?

Comment

Working...
                      X