No announcement yet.

GNOME Circle Officially Announced For Letting More Apps/Libraries "Join GNOME"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Circle Officially Announced For Letting More Apps/Libraries "Join GNOME"

Phoronix: GNOME Circle Officially Announced For Letting More Apps/Libraries "Join GNOME"

GNOME Circle was talked about earlier this month at the Linux App Summit 2020 while now it's been officially announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a previous user of the gtk library (back in the 1.x days) having interaction with that community, my default response has to be "no thanks". Their stance of "if it doesn't break gnome it's not a bug" and rubber stamp WONTFIX drove me elsewhere. I hope they've improved their attitudes towards third party developers but I've found greener pastures elsewhere.

Comment

I hope they open up more. If GNOME, as the leading desktop environment, was more open to changes and conciliation Linux could be in a much better state.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        evasb GNOME, the linux kernel and many other projects are meritocratic upstreams. Naturally they discriminate against lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.

If you or your code suck then you are out.
        mpv being unable to implement inhibit protocol in Wayland because they are slow and closed or ignoring that they can't implement CSD is not about meritocracy.

GNOME is a slow ram-hungry mess lately, not the greatest display of meritocracy's feats.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

mpv being unable to implement inhibit protocol in Wayland because they are slow and closed or ignoring that they can't implement CSD is not about meritocracy.

GNOME is a slow ram-hungry mess lately, not the greatest display of meritocracy's feats.
          Not a good example. mpv is able to implement inhibit protocol in Wayland, they just chose not to. CSD is also more nuanced than you make it: yes, implementing CSD would mean linking to GTK (or Qt, whatever). However, they already do link to Cocoa on MacOS or GDI on Win32, where they need that not only for CSD, but to get a window canvas in the first place. So complaining about having to link to gui toolkit on linux is hypocritical, if they do exactly that on other platforms.

Comment

I hope they open up more. If GNOME, as the leading desktop environment, was more open to changes and conciliation Linux could be in a much better state.
            Butbutbut... GNOME is the Holy Grail, the only truly open FOSS environment, right?

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

Not a good example. mpv is able to implement inhibit protocol in Wayland, they just chose not to. CSD is also more nuanced than you make it: yes, implementing CSD would mean linking to GTK (or Qt, whatever). However, they already do link to Cocoa on MacOS or GDI on Win32, where they need that not only for CSD, but to get a window canvas in the first place. So complaining about having to link to gui toolkit on linux is hypocritical, if they do exactly that on other platforms.
              I think it's because on other OS's they have no choice. I mean: how are you going to display title bars on Windows and macOS without tying into resp. GDI and Cocoa? On Linux, they can choose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                evasb GNOME, the linux kernel and many other projects are meritocratic upstreams. Naturally they discriminate against lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.

If you or your code suck then you are out.
                I genuinely want GNOME to succeed as a DE, but I swear every comment like this turns someone against it. Yeah people often rail on it without any real justification, but this is straight up counterproductive. Maybe GNOME doesn't need more technical support, they just need to kick out this attitude (and anyone who carries it) from their community.

Comment

World Domination... :<

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS
                  Naturally they discriminate against lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.
                  Isn't this exactly what you are seeking?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the mpv's biggest issue with GNOME was the incompatibility with GNOME's Code of Conduct

OTOH most modern desktops support to up 128 GB of RAM. There's plenty of room for scaling up with the inefficiencies.

Comment

Working...
                    X