X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Actually yes, it does affect my life and makes it impossible to complete _certain_ web related tasks.

I use several JS- and graphics-heavy websites that are positively unusable with Firefox due to how slow they become. And before you go on your signature anti-Linux crusade, Firefox on X11 or Firefox on Windows is equally unusable.
    Where are your bug reports? Have you even attempted to report anything? Or "Mozilla is bad and I won't even let them know why they are bad?" Damn.

Leave a comment:

• mitch074
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Actually yes, it does affect my life and makes it impossible to complete _certain_ web related tasks.

I use several JS- and graphics-heavy websites that are positively unusable with Firefox due to how slow they become. And before you go on your signature anti-Linux crusade, Firefox on X11 or Firefox on Windows is equally unusable.
    From my point of view as a web developer for the last 20 years, if a website is so much slower in Firefox than Chrome it's because of a lack of testing by its developer - it always happens when a browser has 70%+ market share, paid-by-the-hour web developers will test on one browser only and cater to its own bugs/specificities (such as early loop exit in Chrome that Firefox won't implement, that encourages some developers to run useless codes in almost endless loops because Chrome aggressively targets those, but runs the risk of buggy behaviour if as specific exit condition isn't taken into account properly, or improper use of the 'use strict; use asm; directives). Something that becomes a maintenance nightmare after a few years when the bug/"feature" gets fixed or the browser in question changes its behaviour in any way (you will see a bunch of websites slowing to a crawl on the day when Chrome developers decide that early loop exit is too much of a problem and disable it).
    I've seen it with Netscape 3/4, I've seen it with IE6, some more with IE8 and I'm seeing it again with Chrome - while it's not (yet) as bad as IE6 got to be, it's still a NIGHTMARE to debug due to poorer tools and documented WONTFIX CSS bugs. While with Mozilla, no bug is ever marked WONTFIX without a documented W3C WG or whatever reference.
    I'm not saying it's bug-free, but as it's been for the last 20 years, Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox fixes bugs compared with the specs and not with the sites, which while being a minor pain once in a while will prevent the horrible mass-rewrites of 2005-2010 when all table-based websites had to be rewritten in CSS 2.1 for mobile support.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Let's be honest: does the fact that Firefox runs JS slower than Chrome by ~20% really affect your life or make it impossible to complete certain web related tasks?

Sometimes people are blowing things out of proportions for absolutely no reasons. Mozilla doesn't take your money. They don't force you use their web browser. Have some modesty and decency - it's a free product which collects far less info about you than Google does and which, unlike Chrome, is actively trying to eradicate certain bad things about the web, e.g. pervasive surveillance.

Last edited by intelfx; 30 November 2020, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    that's one of their faults, yes
    So Rust development in FF is a fault? Really...

EDIT: I freakin love Rust. I mean that really, I -Love- Rust... It's freakin awesome. I hope -everything- gets rewritten in Rust, I hope someday before I die C/C++ and everything else that has ever derived it's syntax from it is just a cold bitter memory of the long dead past.
    Last edited by duby229; 30 November 2020, 01:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    that's problem with you, not with chromium. use software packaged by professionals
    Just to inform you, I'm a Gentoo user. Are you claiming that portage isn't professional?

EDIT: I really hope you say so, I'd love to point out that Google's own ChromeOS is a Gentoo build... I like to think that in a round-about way Gentoo has the largest Marketshare of them all...

EDIT: Mwuu-haa-haaa-haa!!
    Last edited by duby229; 30 November 2020, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Absolute most Linux users couldn't care less about the company "abusing" GPL because it's mostly BS. What they do care about is proper support for their hardware.
    and novideo doesn't support their hardware. novideo only "supports" slaves who only use novideo-approved software

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
    Then maybe blame Facebook who tried to do what you keep accusing Nvidia of. They were using Nvidia hardware and Facebook programmer introduced the code, you keep accusing Nvidia of.
    moron, facebook's code is opensource, novideo's code isn't. novideo is the problem

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I guess my particular problems with chromium is not at runtime but rather at compile-time.
    that's problem with you, not with chromium. use software packaged by professionals

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    So I guess you think all the Rust work put into FF is poorly designed... Mozilla is one of the very few corporations -actually- working to replace C/C++...
    that's one of their faults, yes

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    The new M1 Macs do allow to
    sponsor apple. why should anyone help you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X