Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 83 vs. Chrome 87 On Intel Tiger Lake + AMD Renoir Under Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox 83 vs. Chrome 87 On Intel Tiger Lake + AMD Renoir Under Linux

    Phoronix: Firefox 83 vs. Chrome 87 On Intel Tiger Lake + AMD Renoir Under Linux

    With this month's release of Chrome 87 having more performance improvements while Firefox 83 debuted with its "Warp" JavaScript improvements, it's a good time for some fresh Linux web browser benchmarks of these two main options. Plus with Firefox 84 to begin enabling WebRender by default in some Linux configurations, there is also a fresh run of Firefox with WebRender enabled.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29742

  • #2
    At this rate, I expect to see Firefox catch up to Chrome's performance in about 300 years.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      At this rate, I expect to see Firefox catch up to Chrome's performance in about 300 years.
      At least we have a google free alternative. Almost everything now has chrome as base ..edge Vivaldi brave...Mozilla's Firefox ist the last major resistance against an all google internet.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
        At this rate, I expect to see Firefox catch up to Chrome's performance in about 300 years.
        webrender works like garbage in linux, ok you have vaapi for 4k video for others things chromium is better and a new flag appear in chrome/chromium in the last realeses "enable hardware decode", maybe in little time vaapi support become upstream in chrome too

        Comment


        • #5
          Michael

          You don't return my emails, your personal website contact form is seemingly broken (you've ignored my last four or five submissions), so I hope I can reach you here:

          This is absolutely worth sharing here in Phoronix: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1333126001161773056

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
            At this rate, I expect to see Firefox catch up to Chrome's performance in about 300 years.
            Let's be honest: does the fact that Firefox runs JS slower than Chrome by ~20% really affect your life or make it impossible to complete certain web related tasks?

            Sometimes people are blowing things out of proportions for absolutely no reasons. Mozilla doesn't take your money. They don't force you use their web browser. Have some modesty and decency - it's a free product which collects far less info about you than Google does and which, unlike Chrome, is actively trying to eradicate certain bad things about the web, e.g. pervasive surveillance.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Michael

              You don't return my emails, your personal website contact form is seemingly broken (you've ignored my last four or five submissions), so I hope I can reach you here:

              This is absolutely worth sharing here in Phoronix: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1333126001161773056
              I like how the one dude commenting thinks those machines aren't locked down... What a douchebag...

              Comment


              • #8
                Glad Michael has a Renoir machine to test with. I've been trying to buy one for months. "Shut up and take my money!". They're all either out of stock, or only available in limited non-customizable configurations. IBM offers the intel Thinkpad T490 in 22 predefined configurations including a custom built-to-order. For the AMD T495 model, they offer a single lame config, with no BTO. Whats up with that?? Is Renoir really such a hot seller that AMD can't keep up with demand?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post

                  I like how the one dude commenting thinks those machines aren't locked down... What a douchebag...
                  The new M1 Macs do allow to boot/run anything which supports the ARM instruction set, so he's not bluffing. The shit's real and he's a capable programmer however if the GPU in the M1 Mac is sufficiently complicated it may take him alone too much time to add support for the current gen Macs and Apple intends to update them yearly. We really need to find ways to force Apple to open up a bit and for Apple I see zero reasons to do that. It will cost them money as people running Linux on M1 Macs won't be using their software center, thus they won't bring in profits.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post

                    Let's be honest: does the fact that Firefox runs JS slower than Chrome by ~20% really affect your life or make it impossible to complete certain web related tasks?

                    Sometimes people are blowing things out of proportions for absolutely no reasons. Mozilla doesn't take your money. They don't force you use their web browser. Have some modesty and decency - it's a free product which collects far less info about you than Google does and which, unlike Chrome, is actively trying to eradicate certain bad things about the web, e.g. pervasive surveillance.
                    You're reading a whole lot into my comment.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X