KDE Closing Out November With More Plasma Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Guess this kind of work is harder than it seems, huh? That's another reason why it happened.
    ............ /

Comment

I've gotten into too many disagreements about unit tests. Unit tests can only test for what they were written to test for... But too many people think they are magical... If a bug was totally unanticipated, then how could a unit test be written to anticipate it? They are an obvious example of a catch22.

Not just KDE has this problem, Wine is particularly susceptible to it... Too many people think wine's unit tests are the end all and be all... (If you -really- want to catch bugs then you have to run actual applications in actual usage.)

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
        Guess this kind of work is harder than it seems, huh? That's another reason why it happened.
        It's very hard without proper automated tests in place. Keyword: proper. I should know, I'm fighting this all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's very hard without proper automated tests in place. Keyword: proper. I should know, I'm fighting this all the time.
          How to write a "proper" test to anticipate something that was unanticipated in the first place? Define "proper"?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I've gotten into too many disagreements about unit tests. Unit tests can only test for what they were written to test for... But too many people think they are magical... If a bug was totally unanticipated, then how could a unit test be written to anticipate it? They are an obvious example of a catch22.

Not just KDE has this problem, Wine is particularly susceptible to it... Too many people think wine's unit tests are the end all and be all... (If you -really- want to catch bugs then you have to run actual applications in actual usage.)
            That's why proper tests are layered. Unit tests, one or more layers of integration tests and finally some end-to-end tests, that have nothing to do with code and everything to do with use cases.

If the issue was that the user was unable to run an executable at all, that's a pretty big use case to leave out. If the issue was the user was unable to launch an executable under certain conditions, then yes, it might have been something not anticipated.

Comment

ngraham will be resize fps drops fixed? Desktop fps drops when i resize anything, it's worse or better depending on application. Try to resize new system monitor or system settings window.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
                ngraham will be resize fps drops fixed? Desktop fps drops when i resize anything, it's worse or better depending on application. Try to resize new system monitor or system settings window.
                Perhaps. There's still quite a few unfixed issues with Wayland's rendering. I'm hoping the new rendering system they are working on will fix alot of the old issues... The new rendering algorithims will reduce latency and finally detach kwin from timers.

Comment

Nice. That first-mentioned Dolphin issue was a frequent, if minor, annoyance (luckily I didn't encounter the second mentioned Dolphin issue, since opening the integrated terminal was part of my work-around!).

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Perhaps. There's still quite a few unfixed issues with Wayland's rendering. I'm hoping the new rendering system they are working on will fix alot of the old issues... The new rendering algorithims will reduce latency and finally detach kwin from timers.
                    It's not wayland issue. With wayland this issue is a lot worse, because windows teleport themselves if you move them quickly after resize lag.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's why proper tests are layered. Unit tests, one or more layers of integration tests and finally some end-to-end tests, that have nothing to do with code and everything to do with use cases.

If the issue was that the user was unable to run an executable at all, that's a pretty big use case to leave out. If the issue was the user was unable to launch an executable under certain conditions, then yes, it might have been something not anticipated.
                      While I fully agree how you see the meaning of unit tests, here is one more point-of-view: even if the tests had covered this, it could have been intentional to leave this feature from the last release, for example because of lack of developers time.

Comment

Working...
                      X