No announcement yet.

GNOME 40 Mutter Moves Input Work To A Separate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on the way it was implemented, this MR also has the potential to reduce input latency and stalls, since theoretically input events can now reach the clients even when the compositor's main thread is busy.

Along with https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/168, https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1241 et al this could improve gaming experience as well.

Comment

I was using multi-threaded applications on the Amiga days... What happened - why isn't important and critical things not in separate worker threads already?

Comment

I hope they make GNOME more robust too. It is not so robust. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it freezes. Under Wayland that will bring down the whole compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
          I was using multi-threaded applications on the Amiga days... What happened - why isn't important and critical things not in separate worker threads already?
          In short, because more complexity is often the antithesis to stability.

Amiga had a cooperative multi threading model and no memory protections. That allows a whole lot more performance at the cost of security, which also allowed the Amiga to punch above it's weight.

Comment

Apart from the UI/UX design flaws, either subjective or objective, this was the one biggest architectural flaw in Gnome, am I right? (I'm really asking)
            I'm happy to see this fixed. Moves the whole Linux ecosystem forward and I can't wait to try it on PopOS

Comment

Not soon enough it was.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                Not soon enough it was.
                Yes, master Yoda :'D

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

In short, because more complexity is often the antithesis to stability.

Amiga had a cooperative multi threading model and no memory protections. That allows a whole lot more performance at the cost of security, which also allowed the Amiga to punch above it's weight.
                  Whaaaat? Amiga cooperative? No fam, the Amiga operating system was fully preemptive. Sure its system scheduler and the lack of memory protection makes it a bit primitive, but the multitasking wasn't only top notch, back in the day it was impressive for such a home computer.

Windows 3.x MacOS before X were cooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                    Apart from the UI/UX design flaws, either subjective or objective, this was the one biggest architectural flaw in Gnome, am I right? (I'm really asking)
                    I'm happy to see this fixed. Moves the whole Linux ecosystem forward and I can't wait to try it on PopOS
                    The list is long..., it is for sure one of the important factors in user experience, that's for sure.

wizard69
                    More good news. The more gnome leverages all the cores in modern processors the better.
                    Indeed, but with limitation. The less resources used for achieving the same goal the better as well as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Whaaaat? Amiga cooperative? No fam, the Amiga operating system was fully preemptive. Sure its system scheduler and the lack of memory protection makes it a bit primitive, but the multitasking wasn't only top notch, back in the day it was impressive for such a home computer.

Windows 3.x MacOS before X were cooperative.
                      Okay, we now know your love for Amiga lol. Sadly, it wasn't impressive enough to have gone anywhere. You can cuddle it in a blanket and rock it to sleep if you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X