Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Mutter Moves Input Work To A Separate Thread

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Mutter Moves Input Work To A Separate Thread

An exciting addition for GNOME 40 is that the Mutter compositor will be punting the input work off to a separate CPU thread...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally. How many years have we been waiting for this?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Finally. How many years have we been waiting for this?
      I don't know but boy does time fly - I just checked Linus Torvalds is already 50 and soon to be 51.

Comment

Just wondering, do Plasma and Plasma Wayland have this feature already? It often felt like, at least on Wayland, it is not there.

Comment

No, plasma's cursors starts lagging hard when CPU usage is high.

Comment

Originally posted by fenixex View Post
            No, plasma's cursors starts lagging hard when CPU usage is high.
            Additionally I have an issue where the framerate drops randomly (and stays there) to ~25 fps even though CPU and GPU usage is low/none. It only seems to affect my laptop with AMD CPU and GPU, which is weird. Has anyone else seen something similar? It has been reported but almost no one seems to have the same issue: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=424398

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              The review process and the CI is really good now. Adahl is super picky and thorough. CI happens on commit level, GnomeOS level and distributor level.

Just like upstreams are meant to be.
              You make me embarrassed to use GNOME.

Comment

Article is not correct, the merge-request literally says:

"To set the expectations right, I should probably also mention what this branch does not do:
                • It does not perform KMS updates in the input thread. All KMS interaction still does happen in the main thread, so the pointer can visually stall, even though the input thread isn't missing events. Ideally, KMS management itself should be eventually taken out of the main thread. This branch sets the seed so that the MetaKmsCursorRenderer can possibly be managed there, so that KMS and the input threads could talk between themselves without interaction from the main thread"

Comment

Can't edit my post, sorry for the double post.

The merge-request that also needs to be merged (for the input problem to be solved) is this one: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1241

Comment

More good news. The more gnome leverages all the cores in modern processors the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X