Blender 2.91 Released With A Multitude Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And here I thought Flatpak was distro-agnostic...
    It is, the issue isn't flatpak... It's Ubuntu, whom has invested in snaps as a competing method. Alas the community has decided, and most distributions generally support flatpack without much configuration at all... Whereas, Ubuntu, you kind of have to do some digging for use, and it remains unsupported on the distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

Honestly given the Apple Inc. long standing hate of FLOSS.... And with complete control of the hardware, I would not expect much.

At best, I would assume that blender would have open access to things that Apple cannot keep hidden as a part of the llvm project which they are a main contributor to and are completely reliant upon.
      Outside of that would be anyone's guess and, frankly, Apple's not going to volunteer that information.

I would be happy to be wrong but I live in the real world. Apple support of Open Source applications has not been great. It would be fair to say that they care more for Maya than Blender.
      Non sense.

Who cares about Apple's "hate of FLOSS". As far as I can see the hate comes from the Taliban like members of FLOSS to Apple for no good reason other than they make better stuff than the FLOSS world and people respond the world over by freely giving them trillions of dollars and the consumer computer industry copies their every move which they already are by moving their hardware over to ARM. Slowly now....but surely and ever faster as this decade moves on.

Also all the Blender folks have to do is to fire up Xcode and load all their code in it and refactor and port over to Apple Silicon. XCode will allow them to take advantage of the Visual Core, the Advanced Matrix processor and the Neural Net Processor. They can refactor for the vector extensions in ARM/M1. They can refactor to take advantage of all eight CPU cores and all eight GPU cores simultaineously.

There is no need for Apple to "volunteer" that information. Xcode will allow them that. In fact, Blender could go full Swift in Xcode, but since that would be an huge undertaking they could just load all their C and C++ code in Xcode and add Swift code along side all the rest as C and C++ along with Objective C runs nicely right along side Swift.

And they get the bonus of REPL in Xcode and Swift to iterate more easily as they go along.

Blender doesn't have a choice. x86 is truly dead in the Mac world. If Blender wants to have a version for MacOS going forward they have no choice but to do what i outlined above. And if they do, they have the chance to showcase what Blender can do on an advanced CPU architecture instead of the increasingly primitive designs of the x86 world.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And what makes you think it's not?
        I guess you didn't understand my post. The person I quoted said that it was available as a Flatpak on UBUNTU. I replied to that by cynically saying that I thought Flatpak was distro-agnostic.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          There is ONE technically very forgettable movie - out of hundreds of other ones that are WAY more complex - that got made with Blender. Blender is now great a tool for films then...? No.
          With no nodal lighting/scene management/render pass output system, some crap workflows from the old days, and a memory consumption that goes through the roof with basic scenes, it's not tomorrow that the industry will embrace Blender.
          Some younger than Blender softwares got adopted by film industry while Blender stay out of the league because unlike Blender they are designed for pros needs, not for week-end hobbyists and noobs.
          To be fair, a lot of so called 'pro' packages utterly suck, like 3dsmax does. It's horribly unstable (admittedly, runs super stable on Wine, but still), littered with literally hundreds of decades old bugs, that will never be fixed, and very expensive for such relatively low quality software. It's UI and concepts, and feature sets are persistently 5+ years out of date and every release the UI becomes worse (yes, lets change all familiar icons to different grayscale ones that all look similar!). I can't speak for other 3d modeling/animation packages, but 3dsmax is pretty much kept on life support almost entirely by 3rd party free/commercial developed plugin toolkits/scripts, and the occasional new - and often broken - features as part of the usual big studio lip service. IMO 3dsmax has little long term future, it's locked to Windows platform, and years ago there were some persistent rumors that large swathes of source code were lost, which would explain why some bugs/features are never fixed/improved. I quit the Max community when Autodesk indicated they're not interested in bug reports.

And aside from the software itself being crap, the way Autodesk milks it and buys out and kills (e.g. XSI, Mudbox) or shackles (Maya) competition doesn't help. That alone would a good reason to use Blender, the time invested in training is not wasted on the long term. The only reason I'm not using Blender for daily work as much as I want, is because it's hard to unlearn 20+ years of muscle memory and bad habits.

Anyway, I grew up with 3dsmax (used every few versions since Max 2.5), I know it inside out, have (buggy) MaxScript running in my veins, but my conscience will not allow me to recommend anyone to use this utter POS software!

Now, Blender on the other hand is improving rapidly with every release in all departments, it doesn't suffer from a bad organization like Autodesk (quite the opposite, Blender org is one of the best open source org). It can be extended/customized for large studio projects. Python for scripting, C++ code readily available. Why waste weeks of time patching up bugs with Max/MEL Script when your techs can patch up the issue at the root, forever, the proper way? IMO it's a dream for technical artists/pipeline coders.

IMO, Blender is the future for anything 3D, whether one likes it or not.

Comment

Working...
          X