Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 84 Beta Begins Enabling WebRender By Default On Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 84 Beta Begins Enabling WebRender By Default On Linux

With Firefox 83 released, like clock-work Mozilla has released the beta of Firefox 84...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, when you fire up new test, could you add Webrender+Wayland('MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1') or Webrender+EGL/X11 ('MOZ_X11_EGL=1') to the mix? They both support WebGL without readback[1], thus having much better WebGL performance, and partial damage. As they are both expected to ship over next few releases, it would be great to see what we can expect from it

1: This only applies to mesa drivers, not the proprietary nvidia one.
    Last edited by treba; 17 November 2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Dropping Flash support will allow Firefox to stop having to do gtk2/gtk3 workarounds for Flash - which may make Firefox support easier for Wayland, etc.

This might be the commit that enabled WebRender on some configs -https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/commit/512e2df326f2b8ff6c7b854d122320c2965d99c6#diff-dfce01d29a8b57622fabea157244dacf65b6ce4b9b61960d9e 75f75a3c0567c3

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        Michael, when you fire up new test, could you add Webrender+Wayland('MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1') or Webrender+EGL/X11 ('MOZ_X11_EGL=1') to the mix? They both support WebGL without readback[1], thus having much better WebGL performance, and partial damage. As they are both expected to ship over next few releases, it would be great to see what we can expect from it
        Not a troll question, is WebGL still relevant, is it thriving? Haven't encountered it on any website in a long while. I used to play with it years ago..

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Not a troll question, is WebGL still relevant, is it thriving? Haven't encountered it on any website in a long while. I used to play with it years ago..
          There are some awesome stuff like https://sketchfab.com and https://p3d.in

Edit: Also, the entire Godot editor runs in a browser.
          Last edited by jntesteves; 17 November 2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Have you used google maps (or any modern map page) in the last years?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Have you used google maps (or any modern map page) in the last years?
              Right..., I totally forgot it uses WebGL.. I'm getting old..

Comment

As much as I hate Flash technically (already removed it), I'm still a bit emotional when I remember what was a real era of the web. I had a lot of fun with Flash games during my teen years (they are still playable with Flashpoint, but that nonetheless makes them part of history, and me old).

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                  Dropping Flash support will allow Firefox to stop having to do gtk2/gtk3 workarounds for Flash - which may make Firefox support easier for Wayland, etc.
                  They never bothered with Flash on Wayland, it was already disabled there afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

They never bothered with Flash on Wayland, it was already disabled there afaik.
                    They never bothered with flash on linux since adobe ended the support.

Comment

Working...
                    X