No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation Planning For More Initiatives In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, the usual "I don't like Gnome" crying.

Why cant Gnome just stay in the 90s like all the great DEs(KDE, Mate, LXQt) because trying something new is a crime against humanity. Any progress shall be forbidden if I don't like it. /s

You will know when this is directed towards you! Go use something else you absolute human waste of time and stop crying about it.

Edit: I once was one of those people this is directed to, so I know what a giant stupidity show it was.
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 18 November 2020, 03:25 AM.

Comment

They recently conducted a small-N UX study and they found that users love the UX and the workflow. I personally feel the same.

People at my workplace choose CentOS on their desktops if they have a choice. Laboratories can't live without at least one CentOS desktop and GNOME apps such as GNOME Disks, not joking. Poor souls that are stuck on Windows are unfortunately held back by a bunch of engineering software.
      And they are on CentOS 7 right now. They are in for a treat when they switch to CentOS 8 eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        Why cant Gnome just stay in the 90s like all the great DEs(KDE, Mate, LXQt)
        I agree. They shouldn't and the UI paradigm shared by Gnome/Unity is a great one.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        because trying something new is a crime against humanity. Any progress shall be forbidden if I don't like it. /s
        Yet it doesn't mean Gnome has implemented that UI or that progress in the right way.

You are confusing modernity and the implementation of it.
        Gnome is a dictatorship and the devs enforce their bunker ideas and developer (or keyboard)-centric UI to users that are asking for something else (as the extensions system show).
        What's frustrating is that the Gnome UI has great potential. It's just never going to be fulfilled given their shitty mindset. What a waste. It's like inventing fusion and eventually use it to power a kitchen scale. It could be so much better with a bit of vision and an open mind.
        Last edited by Mez'; 18 November 2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
          They recently conducted a small-N UX study and they found that users love the UX and the workflow. I personally feel the same.
          Yes, when people get used to it it's quite convenient. Using Windows 10 is a nightmare now. However, like someone said the file choosers needs to be replaced and I would also add a bottom panel (or some ability to hide specific windows) to quickly minimize/maximize. When there are lot of small windows open (torrent, communicator etc.) it's too much of juggling.

Comment

144Hz You once mentioned some performance tool for Gnome. How it is called? I want to check something regarding 3D performance.

Comment

I have my personal theory that people using KDE, Mate etc are still into the MS Windows. Caused by the cognitive dissonance liking Windows whilst hating the prorietary ideology . (from the depth psychological point of view). Clinging on the bygone Love.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Also known as a Meritocracy. “Those who do decide”
                Bordering on the antonym of a meritocracy, as I'm sure you know, but that aside...

As you say, "they" have indeed produced something, and they deserve credit for it: though let's be clear that the "they" is RedHat, which effectively owns the GNOME project - this isn't some plucky band of FOSS devs making something out of passion in their spare time, it's a division in a corporation, and by any objective assessment one that was years late and millions of dollars over budget on actually delivering.

But this does make me genuinely curious about something. There are a couple of - let's say "passionate" - posters here who fanatically praise GNOME in every thread, and you're one of them. For you, is it just because of the "RedHat can do no wrong" mentality; or is it GNOME itself? (and if #2, why? What makes GNOME so deserving of adoration, but the KDE team "a bunch of losers"?). Seriously, I'd love to hear an honest answer. TIA.

(This thread's already pure noise at this point, so going a tiny bit more off-topic won't hurt).

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  arQon This “Red Hat owns GNOME” narrative is beyond stupid. Obviously GNOME has many modules maintained or co-maintained by people outside Red Hat.
                  Yet, they're the ones who designed Gnome 3, restrained it to its feature removal/no basic customization/"shut up and swallow" spirit and said no to others' design ideas with a more user-focused approach.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                    As you say, "they" have indeed produced something, and they deserve credit for it: though let's be clear that the "they" is RedHat, which effectively owns the GNOME project - this isn't some plucky band of FOSS devs making something out of passion in their spare time, it's a division in a corporation, and by any objective assessment one that was years late and millions of dollars over budget on actually delivering.
                    To be totally honest, "they" is now IBM. RedHat is now just a name deep in the belly of the world's largest IT corporation (400,000 employees in 170 countries, handles transactions for 97% of the world's banks).

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Bordering on the antonym of a meritocracy, as I'm sure you know, but that aside...

Objectively speaking, let's assume for a moment that being a dominant contributor for an open source project makes you effectively an owner, that would imply that say, Red Hat also effectively owns the Linux kernel. We would have exclude a whole host of contributions from so many other commercial entities and volunteers to justify that assertion.

Also, you have no idea about Red Hat's timelines or their allotted funding for GNOME. They just do not publish that information. So it wouldn't be possible you to accurately claim that they are late or over budget.

Comment

Working...
                      X