No announcement yet.

Mozilla Punts Servo Web Engine Development To The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The right move, historically, would have been Mozilla and Microsoft joining forces either behind EdgeHTML or Servo so we would really have options here.
    Sadly it seems we are moving back to the new IE6 days just named Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
      This is the reason why Chromium/Chrome was so successful, Google built a web browser engine from scratch that was just so much better than the competition.
      Google didn't build Blink from scratch. They rearchitected and then forked Apple's descendant of KDE's KHTML. I know someone already said it, but it needs to be said again, because people forget this so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Google didn't build Blink from scratch. They rearchitected and then forked Apple's descendant of KDE's KHTML. I know someone already said it, but it needs to be said again, because people forget this so much.
        I was talking about V8, which addressed the major bottleneck of websites (Javascript) which was especially becoming an increasing bottleneck as sites became more and more interactive.

V8 was so good that it enabled us having Javascript as a blackened technology (node) and desktop apps (electron) since the performance wasn't atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          I was talking about V8
          Ahh. Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
            Why would the Linux foundation even want a web engine?
            Port the Linux Kernel to WebAssembly?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              firefox worries about android(never understand that since most of people use the pre installed browser)
              Mobile is where the users are. And PC is where the adblockers are..

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

I thought that Thunderbird would have new air under its wings. But to date the ui is a huge mess with buttons and menu options scattered all over.

And STILL no CardDAV support ... I still use it because not much better exists on Windows .
                Use the CardBook Addon, it works fine and gets updated fast for new Thunderbird releases:
                Ein neues Adressbuch für Thunderbird nach CardDAV und VCARD standard. Twitter: @CardBookAddon

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

That's because it's Chromium, so Chromium actually works way better. Google did do a lot of work on performance, multi-threading, hardware accelerated rendering, network performance etc. There's a reason a lot of people use it.
                  Sure there is. Originally it was spread bundled with other installers on Windows and set itself as default.. and now lots of people don't even know about Firefox
                  But comparing the render or javascript speed is misleading when the default setting trashes your session on close and lots of users never change those settings. Anyhow, the performance problem Firefox had for a long time with hundreds of open tabs was solved some years ago and since then it's fine if you don't insist on using less than 2 GB of RAM and antique single core CPUs - which Chrome doesn't like either.
                  Fun fact I remember: While at one point in time Firefox was really slow with just under 200 tabs, chrome back then would already crash at ~100 tabs.

Comment

Working...
                  X