No announcement yet.

Mozilla Punts Servo Web Engine Development To The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds a lot like the beancounters at mozilla made their descision - better their chair than ours.
    it really hurts to see mozilla steered by such a really horrible management.

Comment

I don't mean all us IT freaks but the general public when I say: people began using Chrome because Google forced it on them by installing it adware-style including setting it as default browser malware-style when people were installing Google Earth, Picasa, SketchUp and co. Additional users were gained by advertising Chrome as best for Gmail & the ability to sync across devices. And since Chrome just did what the noob users needed and was fast doing so (at least feeling snappy with minimum amount of tabs open) they never bothered to switch back to their old browser or never even took notice about the change.
      Personally I just can't work with Chrome/Chromium, it's awful.

I also think Mozilla couldn't develop Firefox further without Google. It would just need to slim down to it's core business and scrap their commercial arm which proved to be a epic fail from an enduser perspective.

Originally posted by Spam View Post

I thought that Thunderbird would have new air under its wings. But to date the ui is a huge mess with buttons and menu options scattered all over.

And STILL no CardDAV support ... I still use it because not much better exists on Windows .
      You can add CardDAV support via the awesome addon CardBook. Highly recommended even if you don't even need CardDAV support since it's so much better than Thunderbird's own stoneage address book.
      Last edited by villeneuve; 18 November 2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Thats as simple as it can be: The web is replaced every few years.
        What do you mean? Web 2.0 is quite old at this point and Web 3.0 hasn't arrived yet. So no, it doesn't get replaced every few years. What you're talking about is other stuff that keeps advancing, like WebRTC, WebAssembly, etc., i.e. technology that's not part of Web 2.0 or 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

This is the reason why Chromium/Chrome was so successful, Google built a web browser engine from scratch that was just so much better than the competition (including Google) and Firefox's servo was Mozilla's response to this.
          This is false. From Wikipedia:
          Blink is a fork of the WebCore component of WebKit, which was originally a fork of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by villeneuve View Post
            You can add CardDAV support via the awesome addon CardBook. Highly recommended even if you don't even need CardDAV support since it's so much better than Thunderbird's own stoneage address book.
            Yea, It is what I am using. Kind of annoying as it breaks now and then when Thunderbird updates.

Comment

Looking at the repo, there is a sudden drop in commits since September...
              This is not good for Servo...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                Looking at the repo, there is a sudden drop in commits since September...
                This is not good for Servo...
                But is it worse off than at the new and ever smaller Mozilla? Maybe Servo at least has some sort of future now, which I wouldn't count on being the case for Mozilla itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  Agreed. The core problem is that Google was funding Mozilla, and so Mozilla is stuck - implement anything that truly hurts Google, and Google would cut them off.
                  From the preso talking about the revenue Mozilla will receive, it would appear that Google does not need to "cut them off", as the revenue to Mozilla is dependent on the ad income Google receives, and the ad income depends (to a large extent) on the ability correlate the searches to actual sales, which, of course, is somewhat antithetic to some of what Mozilla has been trying to accomplish with their isolations. I would suspect that internally there were interesting debates about cutting off ones nose to spite their face.

Comment

Mozilla managed to extract billions from Google and Yahoo!, but wastes it on execs instead of paying a few coders.

Mozilla is in an absolute state: high overheads, falling usage of Firefox, questionable sources of revenue and now making big cuts to engineering as their income falls.

They should have been able to pay for development indefinitely with an endowment at this point, even including throwing some money at side projects like Servo, Firefox OS, game jams, or whatever. The low browser usage share wouldn't even matter, though it could have been kept from falling this low. But it was not meant to be.

Comment

The thing about Google funding Mozilla is that I'm pretty sure both of them are fully aware that both of them know that Google only funds them to avoid anti-trust lawsuits, and I'd guess Mozilla only even bothers with Firefox anymore to sustain that relationship, considering just how uncompetitive Firefox is and how much it's development has stagnated.

Comment

Working...
                      X