• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    The web is replaced every few years.
    in reality web evolves

Comment

Originally posted by undefined View Post
      I would as long as this browser has the "Tree Style Tab" addon
      you mean old one or current abomination?

Comment

What's the Linux foundation going to do ? Get it working on their Macs ?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          1. "puts" not "punts"
          2. sadly, on both deskotp (linux) and smartphone edge works way better.
          That's because it's Chromium, so Chromium actually works way better. Google did do a lot of work on performance, multi-threading, hardware accelerated rendering, network performance etc. There's a reason a lot of people use it.

Comment

I noticed a very sharp drop in bugfixes coming in to wayland support in Firefox ever since all those folks were laid off earlier in the year - some bugs are getting fixed, but their velocity has dropped enormously. Very sad state of affairs and I hope Mozilla can recover their vitality soon.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Servo gives me the impression that its developers are more focused on working and promoting their own programing ecosystem than making a better browser engine.

If you go to their website you will see straight away Rust as the main selling point. How about selling me on the architecture instead. Do they have a defined architecture document that explains why and how servo is better than lets say gecko or blink?
              They do this, Servo was built from the core up to be completely multithreaded (which is a LOT easier in Rust). The engine also has 3D acceleration for rendering from the getgo (and they are adding support for backends like Vulkan if they haven't already done so).

Also their "programming ecosystem" (i.e. Rust) has a lot more guarantees for memory/security related issues compared to C/C++ which is actually one of the biggest sore points of browsers.

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              This is where Mozilla has failed utterly. They are spending their time on stuff that appeal maybe to geeks all the while Chrome took over the browser engine kingdom focusing on what matters.
              No thats not why Mozilla failed, Mozilla failed because they are almost completely reliant on income from the web search deal with Google and their attempts to move away from this by releasing have ass'ed product offshets have flopped.

Servo was one of the legitimate research projects because it was their way of competing against Chromium, i.e. by creating a modern high performance web engine. This is the reason why Chromium/Chrome was so successful, Google built a web browser engine from scratch that was just so much better than the competition (including Google) and Firefox's servo was Mozilla's response to this.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                Servo was Mozilla's future. They needed that tech to avoid losing users long term. Nobody will compare browsers and choose the one which is much slower and less responsive. :facepalm:
                It is slower and less responsive. Yet my workflow is faster with it.
                Because it has all the right features and can be customized (CSS, about:config) to tailor my use cases perfectly, while Chromium-based browsers have little to no customization possible and are a pain in the butt to use. But a fast pain in the butt, sure.

For now, these elements still compensate for the slower loading and responsiveness..
                Last edited by Mez'; 18 November 2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  lol. such as handegg or football
                  Actually you're wrong and I tell you that as someone from EU. The thing you refer to as a football is "association football". In fact American football is hard fork of this type of football but from mid of 19th century. The thing is, the football means - playing on foot and not on horse (poor vs rich). Doesn't mean foot - kicking - ball. The term soccer comes from UK from times when they tried to sound cool by shortening words and adding -er to them (association football - soccer). No idea why they stopped calling it soccer. Now you know why football is football and that it's not name of one game but name of group of games under different rulesets. There is rugby football (both league and union), association football, gridiron (american footbal), australian football, canadian football and gaelic football. Each of the games is football.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

No thats not why Mozilla failed, Mozilla failed because they are almost completely reliant on income from the web search deal with Google and their attempts to move away from this by releasing have ass'ed product offshets have flopped.
                    Agreed. The core problem is that Google was funding Mozilla, and so Mozilla is stuck - implement anything that truly hurts Google, and Google would cut them off. Their demo publicity for the "multi-account containers" feature that lets you isolate individual tabs from each other used Facebook as an example. It could, and should, have also used Google as an example.

Don't get me wrong, Mozilla made a lot of dumb mistakes along the way. Paying the CEO of a non-profit millions while they hemorrhage marketshare is obnoxious and unforgivable. But their attempts to escape Google's control have flopped and to be fair I can't think of anything they could have done that would have worked better.

Incidentally, before anyone else brings it up again - diversity initiatives aren't the problem. Mozilla's participation in "Outreachy" employed 20 interns per year. Their last demographics report before their recent layoffs stated that the full time employers were 70% white and 70% non trans men, and even more whites and men were in leadership roles.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                    Servo was one of the legitimate research projects because it was their way of competing against Chromium, i.e. by creating a modern high performance web engine. This is the reason why Chromium/Chrome was so successful, Google built a web browser engine from scratch that was just so much better than the competition (including Google) and Firefox's servo was Mozilla's response to this.
                    ?? Google didn't have its own browser before Chromium/Chrome.

Otherwise I think you got it right. Even with its 50-100 million dollar, or whatever, annual budget Mozilla couldn't afford to put nearly the efforts into Firefox that Google could throw at Chromium and Chrome. It's astonishing they've done as well as they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      ?? Google didn't have its own browser before Chromium/Chrome.
                      This was a typo, I was trying to say that the reason why Google was so successful is because Chromium/Chrome was built from scratch and hence was much better than any other competition out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X