X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    sadly, on both deskotp (linux) and smartphone edge works way better.
    As what - a keylogger?

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Looks like they're continuing their long standing policy of actively trying to run the project into the ground by giving greater focus to things like making sure the technical terminology used less "problematic" (IIRC they expressly budgeted something like $20.000 to that a few years ago) rather than making sure that technology is actually any good. I can understand that it's much more fun to work on new moonshot features, but for those to work properly your fundamentals do need to be in order first. The Mozilla project has never had what I'd describe as good fundamentals and that goes back to the Netscape under AOL days.

I'd very much like to be optimistic about the future of Firefox and the Mozilla foundation, but I have absolutely no faith in their current management.
    Last edited by L_A_G; 17 November 2020, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Thats as simple as it can be: The web is replaced every few years.
    No it is more likely poor choices and management control. Typical result unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• zcansi
    replied
    One thing that people may have missed is that a lot of things that were built as part of Servo have since been integrated into Firefox. Notably Firefox's parallel style calculation system (Stylo) and the new GPU based rendering backend (WebRender).

So saying "Firefox is just fine" is kind of missing the point, Firefox is fine because of work that started in Servo. And work on those projects continues as part of Firefox, obviously. Mozilla didn't fire all their smart developers. But I do think they fired some of the more creative and innovative ones. Which I think they will need, because they cannot remotely compete against Chrome in terms of funding.

In the end, that is what Servo and the Rust programming language are supposed to be about: work smarter, not harder. Rust is more than strong enough to stand on its own feet, but I think Servo will struggle. It's not quite there yet in terms of hackability and accessibility to hobbyist developers, it's a beast to compile (like any modern browser engine) and you can't really play with just part of it (which is the real unrealized opportunity).
    Last edited by zcansi; 17 November 2020, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    At some point Mozilla will probably fork the Chromium codebase, and we'll be that much closer to an Internet monoculture.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    firefox worries about android(never understand that since most of people use the pre installed browser) and windows macos. Webrender is not ready only for linux the people who really cares about them, i'm using chromium snap and firefox and chromium in gaming and render is much better, a pity this situation, the only OS who puts firefox in first place are the one who they don't care

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Servo gives me the impression that its developers are more focused on working and promoting their own programing ecosystem than making a better browser engine.

If you go to their website you will see straight away Rust as the main selling point. How about selling me on the architecture instead. Do they have a defined architecture document that explains why and how servo is better than lets say gecko or blink?

This is where Mozilla has failed utterly. They are spending their time on stuff that appeal maybe to geeks all the while Chrome took over the browser engine kingdom focusing on what matters.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    Why would the Linux foundation even want a web engine?
    If that results in Servo not dying, I'm all for it. It is irrelevant who's formally behind it.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post
    Why does Firefox need its core replaced every few years anyway?
    Firefox's core has never been replaced.

Leave a comment:

• bachchain
    replied
    Why would the Linux foundation even want a web engine?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X