X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    Looks like 84 will be the first release to enable Webrender for a subset of users on release, with 85 expected to expand that number.
    oh? My impression of WebRender on Linux is that the FF team's position is more like "if you have exactly this GPU, then maybe", but not much more than that. The HW-exclusion list seems to be almost infinitely large, with no reasoning behind it other than "well, we haven't tested this specific device" rather than simply assessing a device's capabilities, all of which are well-defined and have been exposed for a very long time now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation, since none of my machines seem slow enough anyway for me to care about trying out WebRender, since I don't benchmark browsers and don't care about single-digit performance improvements. But I've lost track of how many YEARS it's been since the "WebRender will make everything sooo much better" hype, and in all that time I don't think I've ever seen any real effort at all to actually have it work on anything except Windows. (Which to be clear is a position I totally understand: I'm not blaming FF for throwing 99% of the resources at 99% of the market).

It'll be cool if it happens, I suppose? But like I say, a difference of a few %, or slightly better battery life or whatever doesn't mean anything to me anyway.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
    The only thing is missing for me on Firefox is 100% hardware-decoding for video... It's kind-of-working, but I still have some problems with multi-gpu.

Besides that, I'm pretty satisfied with Firefox performance for some time...
    As a web developer there still some things missing:
    • HTML dialog element.
    • CSS font-family "system-ui".
    • JavaScript ES6 class private fields.
    • Toggle in devtools for prefer-color-scheme CSS media query, to easily toggle dark mode.
    Chrome 87 just got released with WebAuthn support in devtools.
    I am quite content with my real world performance of Firefox, however benchmarks show that Chrome is usually much faster.

I recently had some performance problems with Firefox, just changing tabs took a long time, but I solved it by clearing the cache, and going to about: preferences#privacy and clicking on "Manage Data" and manually deleting some cookies. Some domains such as YouTube had 100+ cookies, and some domains such as YouTube had multi-megabyte cookies like 8,6 MB.

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
    Still, I don't think there's much to be excited about with firefox...hasn't been for a longwhile but it continues to hang on which counts for something.
    Firefox is rolling out Pocket to more users which presents articles in the new tab page. The quality of articles is much better than the articles presented in new tab on Microsoft Edge. I haven't seen much of any political bias yet, so it seems to be actually rather good.
    Firefox is also gradually getting more code written in Rust. It was nice to see the JavaScript "Warp" improvements in this release.
    Last edited by uid313; 17 November 2020, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Looks like 84 will be the first release to enable Webrender for a subset of users on release, with 85 expected to expand that number. Also the Wayland and EGL-on-X11 backends are getting close to get shipped by default (maybe EGL-on-X11 will ship on 85). Finally great out-of-the-box performance

Leave a comment:

• ivan.cwb
    replied
    The only thing is missing for me on Firefox is 100% hardware-decoding for video... It's kind-of-working, but I still have some problems with multi-gpu.

Besides that, I'm pretty satisfied with Firefox performance for some time...

Leave a comment:

• Firefox 83 Released With Warp'ed JavaScript, HTTPS-Only Mode Option

Phoronix: Firefox 83 Released With Warp'ed JavaScript, HTTPS-Only Mode Option

Firefox 83.0 is now shipping as a notable update to the Mozilla web browser and this time around are some exciting changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X