No announcement yet.

Google Is Already Experimenting With WebP2 As Successor To WebP Image Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Is Already Experimenting With WebP2 As Successor To WebP Image Format

Phoronix: Google Is Already Experimenting With WebP2 As Successor To WebP Image Format

Google engineers are already working on WebP2 as the next-generation version of their still image file format...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rimental-WebP2

When you thought one standard will rule them all (AVIF) a new one comes along...

Comment

why even do this? WebP is already good, for the best u want AVIF

Comment

I suggest supporting JPEG XL instead, which incorporates techniques from FLIF. The world does not need another half-baked format. Unfortunately, if it is incorporated into Chrome...

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          why even do this? WebP is already good, for the best u want AVIF
          Yeah, and why bother creating a new WebP2 when AVIF is already finished and known to be better than WebP2?

Comment

Well, considering a bunch of Google Suite products don't even support importing WebP yet...

Comment

So is it still based on VP9 or it now uses AV1? Or it has its own VP9 implementation? I'm confused.

Comment

I'm almost at the point of saying that maybe JPEG isn't good enough for a 4k image... but, yeah, it's really hard to justify yet another image format.

I'll wait to see which one is still around in 10 years' time.

Comment

I think I have only seen the original webp in the wild once...

Comment

And everyone forgot about FLI-

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    I suggest supporting JPEG XL instead, which incorporates techniques from FLIF
                    Ughhhhh

Comment

Working...
                    X