KDE Sees A Number Of Fixes To Dolphin, Plasma On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Precisely. Money is nice, but direct contributions are 100x more valuable, especially considering that KDE does not pay for development work right now (though I'm encouraging us to change this).
    I think this will be a very good thing! Payed developers means more time to work on stuff and hopefully more incentive to fix and prevent bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
      KDE does not pay for development work right now (though I'm encouraging us to change this).
      I've seen too many Google SoC students just leave after they got the money. I don't think that outright paying some is such a good idea. At most maybe KDE acting as a "tip jar" for specific bugs and features.

Comment

On the topic of sound in KDE, it'd be amazing to have an equalizer so we could adjust how much base etc the system is outputting for all sounds. Perhaps in the KDE System Settings with the other sound stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          the more i read about kde fixes the more i wonder if kde really worked as intended
          You are correct. If all you do is read about it, it can certainly feel that way.
          If you use it (on X for the time being) however, it's a beautiful thing with very few papercuts, imho.

Comment

Would be nice if the sound mixer for plasma could remember disabled and enabled devices + configurations correctly.
            Mine tries to remember but often will re-enable HDMI again and set speaker configuration wrong, or enable the wrong microphone.

This can happen sometimes on reboot, but mostly during standby mode which is still kinda broken with Plasma as some things don't recover correctly like usb devices/usb sound etc. Or nvidia-settings are defaulted, all sorts of things.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              the more i read about kde fixes the more i wonder if kde really worked as intended
              It may actually look like this, but bugs don't affect everyone, some bugs only affect certain configurations
              If you use a rolling-release distribution and go through the logs every time, you will find hundreds of fixes, ranging from kernel to mesa and all. Because this is how software works ... Gnome shell has had a memory leak for years, yet people were using it.
              The important thing is that bugs are fixed and this is often a problem on fix-release distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                The important thing is that bugs are fixed and this is often a problem on fix-release distributions.
                That's the big weakness of fixed release distribution, and probably of distributions in general. I really hope AppImage, Flatpak, and/or Snap resolve this critical issue

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  See how 144Hz turns threads off-topic and then proceeds to blame everyone who doesn't follow him? And claims these are "facts"?

Isn't this exactly what the debianxfce troll did as well?
                  Why do you even care? If you dislike their posts, why even mention them and give them the attention they want?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

I've seen too many Google SoC students just leave after they got the money. I don't think that outright paying some is such a good idea. At most maybe KDE acting as a "tip jar" for specific bugs and features.
                    Definitely, the people need to be chosen carefully. I think it's important to hire from within the community or else what you describe can absolutely happen. I've seen it too. You don't want to hire people who are clearly just in it for the money.

Speaking personally, if I wasn't paid to work on KDE, I would still do it as a hobby, but I would have to reduce my involvement by probably 75% or more because I would have to work at a full-time job doing something else to earn a living (I support a wife and two children). So I see paying contributors more as a way to ensure that the people who are most passionate about the project get to put as much of their time as they want to into it.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Why do you even care? If you dislike their posts, why even mention them and give them the attention they want?
                      Why do you even care that I care? People care, as part of an unavoidable human nature. This is why they succeed.

Why else are there no 144Hz posts here anymore?

Comment

Working...
                      X