KDE Sees A Number Of Fixes To Dolphin, Plasma On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what Nate is doing is clever and worthwhile in several respects:

- KDE users feel like it's a living project worth using and supporting (however one might like to support a project). Call it Customer Relations if you like.
    - Potential KDE users have something to get excited about. This could be construed as Marketing when viewed through a certain lens.

To me, Nate's excitement comes off as genuine and that's something that's hard to buy but easy to respect and appreciate both as a current and potential KDE user.

FWIW, I used to be primarily a GNOME Shell user but now I'm a happy KDE user. The features KDE give me out of the box just makes me feel slightly more catered to than GNOME Shell default UX, where I feel I need to install 5-10 extensions to get the convenience features I appreciate (and to help me change the workflow+shortcuts+muscle-memory-actions to be more aligned when switching back and forth between Windows and Linux).

Don't get me wrong, I respect GNOME Shell's focus on a clean and uncluttered UX and I happily use said UX on my HTPC because of its big buttons. I also appreciate how the GNOME Shell's move to gitlab has made it much easier to appreciate the amount of work and the quality of engineering that goes into GNOME Shell development.

So, yeah, personally I feel like the friendly competition between GNOME Shell and KDE Plasma Desktop + Apps + Frameworks is making both products better I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420
      I've never once got the feeling that it was to get donation money out of me. If anything, I got the feeling that it was trying to get some work out of me by trying to help me get started with KDE programming.
      Precisely. Money is nice, but direct contributions are 100x more valuable, especially considering that KDE does not pay for development work right now (though I'm encouraging us to change this).

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Precisely. Money is nice, but direct contributions are 100x more valuable, especially considering that KDE does not pay for development work right now (though I'm encouraging us to change this).
        That is good to know...and when my job situation changes and I have more time, I would be willing to contribute time to the project - although my past expertise (if you look at the user name and signature) was definitely in a different programming language than what KDE uses. I might actually have to learn something new at my 50+ years - you know, old dogs and new tricks!
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

See how 144Hz turns threads off-topic and then proceeds to blame everyone who doesn't follow him? And claims these are "facts"?

Isn't this exactly what the debianxfce troll did as well?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            the more i read about kde fixes the more i wonder if kde really worked as intended
            I constantly read about GNOME fixes, Windows fixes, macOS fixes, Ubuntu fixes, Android fixes, iOS fixes, etc. as well. So according to you, no DE/OS works as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I constantly read about GNOME fixes, Windows fixes, macOS fixes, Ubuntu fixes, Android fixes, iOS fixes, etc. as well. So according to you, no DE/OS works as expected.
              I like fixes - it improves my workflow. You are correct - everything has fixes. That is called progress. If nothing was updated or fixed, than we would have stagnation.

Comment

ngraham

Nate, would it be possible to make the Navigator-in-the-toolbar behaviour in Dolphin configurable? I have plenty of vertical space (1600 pixels to be precise ) and I like adding many buttons to the toolbar (with text also), so I'd consider it a bit of a step backwards for me

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  See how 144Hz turns threads off-topic and then proceeds to blame everyone who doesn't follow him? And claims these are "facts"?

You are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    the more i read about kde fixes the more i wonder if kde really worked as intended
                    No software really works as intended.

To generalize further, nothing humans make or do is as perfect as intended.

The fact that there are bugs isn't a problem, it's just how many bugs and how often well-known, easily avoidable bugs occur that is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The moderation here is virtually non-existent. I stay away and very rarely login and contribute for this exact reason. And I highly doubt I'm the only one. Toxicity drives people away, and that's just the way it is. There is a way to disagree and still be respectful. This forum is very often a lesson on how not to do that.

debianxfce also gave downright dangerous advice to newbies asking for help (to literally rip out core parts of the system he felt was bloat and had nothing to do with the problem at hand, something a newbie should obviously not be attempting) and it took years for him to finally be shown the door. Don't think for a second he's not still here under a new username: these people cannot help themselves; it's what they choose to do with their free time and this is their source of validation. I imagine the emotional hit to actually be banned here was probably a bigger deal to him than many would realise. He's here, somewhere. I guarantee it.

I've sometimes wondered if 144Hz and debianxfce are the same person, but I'm too lazy to go through the history to figure it out; it's just not worth my time.

Anyway, I bid you good day, until the next time I feel the urge to login, which will be a while yet, no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                      X