No announcement yet.

KDE Kicks Off November With More Fixes, Including More Plasma Wayland Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And while people are enjoying KDE so much I will only return to it if the following two conditions are met:

1) Plasma gets removed or made optional (I want lightweight independent kdesktop and kicker back)
    2) KDE settings files move from ~/.config to ~/.config/kde

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      And while people are enjoying KDE so much I will only return to it if the following two conditions are met:

1) Plasma gets removed or made optional (I want lightweight independent kdesktop and kicker back)
      2) KDE settings files move from ~/.config to ~/.config/kde
      I have not used KDE enough to comment on the first, but the second seems reasonable - even very useful, although in all candor, I do not know how difficult that that would be. (I am not a developer.)
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

I have not used KDE enough to comment on the first, but the second seems reasonable - even very useful, although in all candor, I do not know how difficult that that would be. (I am not a developer.)
        I believe ngraham already replied he's looking into making that happen sooner rather than later.

Also, I've been on KDE for like 15 years, back in 3.x days. I've used on occasion KDE 1.x (now that looked like a Windows clone). I've used Gnome 2.x and it was ok, but didn't "feel" as good as KDE to me. And then Gnome 3 happened and I don't need a tablet interface on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe ngraham already replied he's looking into making that happen sooner rather than later.

Also, I've been on KDE for like 15 years, back in 3.x days. I've used on occasion KDE 1.x (now that looked like a Windows clone). I've used Gnome 2.x and it was ok, but didn't "feel" as good as KDE to me. And then Gnome 3 happened and I don't need a tablet interface on my PC.
          EXACTLY! I want an interface that lets me customize and tweak it to the way I want it. Gnome may be great for some, but it does not flow for me. I do not want a windows clone, I am forced to work on windows in my job. I want something that I can customize for me and ngraham and the KDE team have done a remarkable job in that. Funny, I did experiment with KDE back in the 3.x days (or maybe earlier, I forget now because I am old) with Mandrake Linux back in 2004-2005. I still liked it then over Gnome - but that is because it worked better for me.
          Last edited by f0rmat; 09 November 2020, 06:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

EXACTLY! I want an interface that lets me customize and tweak it to the way I want it. Gnome may be great for some, but it does not flow for me. I do not want a windows clone, I am forced to work on windows in my job. I want something that I can customize for me and ngraham and the KDE team have done a remarkable job in that. Funny, I did experiment with KDE back in the 3.x days (or maybe earlier, I forget now because I am old) with Mandrake Linux back in 2004-2005. I still liked it then over Gnome - but that is because it worked better for me.
            Tbh back in the day KDE and Gnome weren't that different. However I could never get to terms with Gnome's double panels. Having two of them I could never position them in a way that didn't feel awkward and trying to squeeze everything into one panel was too messy (personal feeling, obviously). Other than that, Gnome was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              However, if this is the community Michael wants to build around Phoronix, I may just decide to opt out of the forums going forward. I can just read the articles and pretend the comments don't exist.
              Well, I was curious to see if Michael would have any comment on this, but I suspected he probably wouldn't. He seems to be pretty happy with the situation given that this has been the status quo since forever.

Taking a day to think about it and cool down, I think I was right. It's time for me to part ways with Phoronix. It's odd, because I think i'm going to miss this place - and yet, at the same time, I know that I'm also going to be much happier. Life is simply to busy to spend it dealing with people who act in bad faith.

It looks like I've been posting comments here for 12 years with over 5,500 comments according to my profile. I think my strongest memories of this place will be bridgman responding to people here in the comments section with actual interesting information, which is shocking these days when every company seems to be ruled by their marketing department, and the various long-winded insane rants Q would occasionally go down that made me worry for his mental health. A fitting pair to sum up this place, I think.

Goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex

Nice one. Since I'm calling Nathan Graham about this Spyware in KDE (it has all properties of spyware: 1. Put there without user consent, 2. Cannot be uninstalled -its hardcoded. 3. It was lied about by Grham on KDE website -ie. that it opt-in- since when I the user opted in?! 4. To cover tracks fake GUI slider was created that when you slide it to the left, it says fakly "disabled" - no it isn't disabled, data is still gathered.).

Nice one dude. Call Phoronix Media to remove the guy who exposed Nate Graham of KDE, who puts spyware in our computers without asking us in the first place, an hed then threat Phoronix Media, that he should remove me from forum, because you will not subscribe to PM and will not give him money. Nice one. Nobody is falling for this.

I reserve the right to call any lies and any programmer that puts spyware in our computers and name him, point at him and expose him publicly. You can call Phoronix Media, threaten them that if they don't remove me you will not give him any money via future subscription. (you even haven't subscribed yet). And its not up to you to decide who I call publicly for putting spyware in our computers. Calling me names will not work. I call NATHAN GRAHAM FOR PUTTING SPYWARE IN OUR COMPUTERS. The hell with him and this spyware.

You do realize that Plasma is open-source right? If you aren't happy with something the devs have added, you are free to remove it if you want. On ArchLinux KUserFeedback is a separate package, it should be easy to come up with a dummy package which "provides" KUserFeedback, thereby bypassing it's functionality if you want. Or you can compile your own build of Plasma that doesn't have it.

I take it you're too lazy to do that, instead you resort to personally attacking developers, and other forum users.

P.S. ngraham hasn't installed anything on anyone's computers, much less "spyware". If you aren't happy with the way KDE/Plasma does things, you can feel free to install GNOME, or MATE, or Xfce, or LXDE, or any of the many DE's available. No one is stopping you.

Comment

Working...
                X