Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbios View Post

Nate,
    Please be assured that 99,9% of the people are not like that. I know how frustrating it is to having to deal with this kind of behaviour when all you're trying to do is to do something good, I just wanted to tell you that your continued dedication and passion for kde is astounding and super appreciated!
    Seconded.

Comment

Why is it whenever there's good news about bugfixes for KDE, there's someone complaining "HurR dUrR but my bug wasn't fixed!" or "KDE's defaults don't suit my personal taste and therefore it's bad".

It boggles my mind how some of you are capable of using Linux at all when you say stupid shit like this. It's one thing when something has a major flaw that is known to bother a large group of people, but almost every time someone complains about KDE, it's about personal preferences (most of which KDE can configure) treated like fact, while being totally unwilling to make changes yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Why is it whenever there's good news about bugfixes for KDE, there's someone complaining "HurR dUrR but my bug wasn't fixed!" or "KDE's defaults don't suit my personal taste and therefore it's bad"?
        They have prior problems and someone else has to pay the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
          Is KDE a clone of MS Windows or MS Windows owns KDE? Why is there a default shortcut for Dolphin file manager cloned from MS windows Win/Meta/Super+E. E=Explorer.exe. We don't have exporer.exe in KDE. Shouldn't it be Win/Meta/Super+F, where F is as in FILE manager? Is been there for ages.

The default application switcher is a windows clone, where we don't know which is a shortcut (aka quick launch) and which is a running app/window. And because of that stupid windows clone we have to click multiple times on small icons to switch between opened windows/apps. And on top of that that we don't have text on them so we don't see which one is which one at first glance at all. Yet another usability hindering clone of MS windows stupidity.

Stupid windows cloning. Nate is an idiot.

Nat soon will be renaming Dolphin to Explorer. Just to conform to "standards". Windows is a standard, so we need to conform to the windows shortcut.
          Win + F has always been "Open Search" (F = Find).

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post

Seconded.
            Thanks, I appreciate it. I know that most people are good and act in good faith. However that small number of people who are not and do not has the potential to wreck things for everyone else. If there's one thing I feel like I've learned from four years of Trump, it's that treating bad people who act in bad faith like they're normal and deserve respect totally backfires and just gives them more oxygen to act badly.

Accordingly, I have since adopted a policy: if you act like a jerk, I will call you out for bad behavior and impose negative consequences on you if you keep it up. Because I believe that if you act badly, you must be made to feel bad for it, or else you will just keep doing it. All of my life experiences support this conclusion.

I know that this doesn't work out so well on the internet where there is no danger of physical violence erupting. Bad people are generally cowards who fear consequences (especially physical ones), and the internet removes most possible consequences for bad behavior, which is one of the reason why I think people often behave badly on it; they are showing their true colors in an environment where there seem to be no real risks.

However this safety is illusory. Securitex: please know that since you left comments on my blog, I know the country and city where you live, based on geolocating your IP address. I also know your real name, based on previous troll-ish messages you sent through my blog's "Contact Me" feature from the same geographic location, and the name you used matches the naming style of that location and has a web presence. I have the power to make this information public, or to use it to find out much more about you, and make that information public, or to keep it private and use it against you at the time and place of my choosing. Note that thus far I have chosen not to do so. Please keep in mind that my patience is limited.

And yes, this is a threat. If you require threats of consequences to stop acting badly, consider this a threat of potential consequences. So cut out the shitty behavior, or I will retaliate in a way that you may find unpleasant.

Now have a nice day. Please, do. I mean it. Have a nice day. Heal your soul. Be free and happy and unburdened. Or else.

Comment

Also, you know there's this thing called common sense. Explorer, File Manager or Konqueror - it doesn't matter. Being able to use the same shortcuts under different OSes to invoke the same functions is a joy.

For instance from Windows 10 I've copied into all my DEs (KDE and XFCE) the following shortcuts:

Win + Space = Change keyboard layout
              Win + Up = Maximize/restore current window
              Win + Down = Minimize current window
              Win + R = Show the application finder/Run Command
              Win + E = Thunar (XFCE File Manager)/File Explorer
              Win + D = Minimize all windows/Show Desktop
              Win + L = Lock session
              Win + V = Show clipboard entries/history (funnily Microsoft copied this shortcut from KDE)

The only thing which I have different from Windows, is that it uses Win + M as minimize all windows and I've set it to Mute/Unmute because it's easier to hit than the corresponsing multimedia function and some of my keyboards don't have dedicated multimedia keys at all.

What else?

I have Win + K bound to Terminal (since my favourite DE, KDE 3.5, had Konsole as a terminal emulator application).
              Last edited by birdie; 08 November 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post

Nate,
                Please be assured that 99,9% of the people are not like that. I know how frustrating it is to having to deal with this kind of behaviour when all you're trying to do is to do something good, I just wanted to tell you that your continued dedication and passion for kde is astounding and super appreciated!
                On this forum definitly more then 0.01% of people are having this sort of behaviour. I could definitly think of few names out of my head, especially in Nvidia related threads.

Good job Nate, keep doing the good work in (for me) best DE to use in Linux.

Comment

I don't think Plasma5.20 went over well with NVIDIA users, going by reddit and my own experiences. I tried to install it and got a broken desktop login, meh.

Comment

I would like to point out that some of the shortcuts are based on a English language POV. In Spanish, Desktop = Escritorio . So some may find more intuitive the Win + E combo for showing the desktop.

Comment

This week I got a surprise early birthday present, a 55" 4K TV to replace my 43" 1080p, and, well, between the extra 12" and higher resolution...I dunno...it just did not feel the same. It's hard to put words to it, but no amount of scaling, tweaking settings, etc could make my old, preferred setup feel right. Same setup, different screens, completely different experience and feel.

I think I'm going to have to rethink my entire setup and turn my Plasma desktop into something like a GNOME clone. I feel dirty saying that, but I have way too much usable space now and what GNOME does seems to work better with 4K better than Plasma -- with my usual out of the box, minimal tweaking setup where I only have to change the menu and theme. Well, that's my Plasma experience for the week.

ngraham I was reading the comments where you said:

If you wanted SDDM to be an official KDE project, you would probably want to talk to the primary maintainer about that. It’s not like KDE devs can grab a project and turn it into a KDE project all on our own.
                      That peaks my curiosity so I have to ask, why not? Why can't y'all fork an open source project and use it for KDE if y'all actually need it? And not even SDDM, just anything in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X