GIMP 2.99.2 Released With GTK3 UI, Working Wayland Support, Other Big Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I've mixed feelings about the global menu. I'm not a fan, but I could live with it much more easily than with, say, Gnome's top bar.
    1. I think that consistency could be reasonable overshadowed for some particular cases, like the trash bin.
      Something along the lines of
      Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
      Although practicality beats purity.

from the Zen of Python
    2. Amen to that!
    3. Can't agree more. I always found it quite baffling!
    I am not sure if they break constantly their own zen rules or cherry pick badly or if their rules suck, but please never take Python as design base to anything else, it's one of the shittiest languages existing, it's just the dumbest common denominator. People that can write pseudo-code produce python code, and the most optimized form of it.

If I look at nameless functions / lambdas in python I puke in a curve, now the messed up wrong logic syntax of if/else where else is not a part of the if construct from the indentation level but a separate block, and you have to write some special cases for a refactoring tool to make it understand that this 2 blocks belong together even identation says the opposite, that part is not python specific all fortran inspired languages (most languages today) (I guess fortran 77 or 95 seems to have changed to this ridiculous semantically illogical syntax), but Python is one of the only languages that has no other real alternative conditionals, except some hacked list solutions that work for some problems but don't for others.

But the lambda syntax is probably the major problem you can't really do multi-line lambdas, the creator the dictator of the project hated lambdas or functional programming so that he made it as bad as possible having different syntax for 1 line if/else as example is also retarded.

So no please nobody should take python as example to create something else, for me s-expression is the only real way to go but beside that rust and julia are much better languages, that don't stay at baby level pseudo-code language, No pseudo code is no actual good code! and stop triggering me with such suggestions :P

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Generally, my perspective is "auto-save with git as a way to veto it when it inevitably does something stupid" but that's not the point I was making.

It was glaringly ignorant of them and counterproductive to replace "the Save glyph" in their icon themes with iconography of internal hard drives and "download arrows" just because nobody uses floppy disks anymore.

Plus, I also neglected to mention visual acquisition. I find it much easier to look for a floppy-disk shaped... possibly in red and blue... than yet another green downward arrow. (I'm still at the stage where, lacking even green as a cue, Firefox's PDF viewer's new GNOME-ish download icon can take up to 10 seconds as I scan for the floppy several times before forcing myself to the slow path of consciously considering every icon.)

EDIT: I should clarify that I was using the Firefox icon as an example of breaking from convention. I have no problem with the standard "large down arrow pointing at a horizontal bar" download icon Chrome's PDF viewer uses. It's just Firefox's "tiny down arrow pointing into a folder" icon which is hard for me to latch onto. I called it GNOME-ish because it's inventing something new that they thought would be better, rather than matching convention to build off people's existing expectations.

It's a distinction I thought was important to make, given that GNOME botched up "save" while these things use "download", and those are two distinct pieces of iconography, even if some people are trying to conflate them. Heck, in this era of cloud apps, it's more important to distinguish than ever since, for a cloud app, "Save" usually means "Save changes to server" while "Download" usually means "Export to local machine".
      Yeah, the Firefox thing is made even worse due to the fact that they don't show a pop-up notification when something gets downloaded. That icon you talked about just makes a subtle change from grey to blue, and unless you actually read about this whole controversy, you wouldn't know. It's such an idiotic design.

Comment

Why not GTK4 ?
        Wasn't GIMP supposed to be main GTK+ customer ?

Comment

Gave it a quick spin. I never considered operating on a multi layer selection but I think itā€™ll be very useful.

I forgot to check whether it fixes the annoying bug in the 2.10.x on Windows in single window mode where I move the layer opacity slider and it sometimes wonā€™t let go even after I select other tools so any keyboard action still affects the slider. Workaround is to click on the menu after using the slider, to remove focus from it. Doesnā€™t happen on Linux.

Anyway it looks really promising and Iā€™m looking forward to it. Iā€™ve used The GIMP a lot for many years for restoring or colorizing old photos, removing drunk uncle Anton photobombing on wedding photos etc., comedic er changes and the like of birthday invites and school projects for the kids. Iā€™m grateful to anybody investing their time in the project.

Only wish Iā€™d have is getting the resynthesizer/heal selection plugin integrated into GEGL/GIMP as a key feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            Why not GTK4 ?
            Wasn't GIMP supposed to be main GTK+ customer ?
            I guess I'll have to repeat myself GTK4 is new (even unreleased as of now) and not tested all that well. Creating a new GIMP release based on it right now would result in stepping on every landmine.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post
              Only wish Iā€™d have is getting the resynthesizer/heal selection plugin integrated into GEGL/GIMP as a key feature.
              Another possibility is to enhance the existing inpainting framework in GEGL. We haven't given either of that much thought yet, what with 2K+ bug reports and feature requests and all To be frank, this sounds like a job for a new interested developer. Wrapping up v3.0 development should really take the front seat now. Everybody wants what's next after that ā€” non-destructive editing.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

I guess I'll have to repeat myself GTK4 is new (even unreleased as of now) and not tested all that well. Creating a new GIMP release based on it right now would result in stepping on every landmine.
                GTK4 has been loooong in process, so GIMP folks had more than enough time to filter out possible bugs.
                Also, it's not exactly like GIMP releases are being heavilly tested. It wouldn't really hurt anyoune if at least GIMP-git had GTK4 branch all along.

Comment

GTK4 has been loooong in process, so GIMP folks had more than enough time to filter out possible bugs.
                  I'd like to know what your confidence about "more than enough time" is based on. Do you manage our schedule? Do you stick around on IRC to know what we are up to? Do you follow the development closely? Do you, in fact, know anything about GIMP development other than what you read in the news post on Phoronix?

Also, it's not exactly like GIMP releases are being heavilly tested. It wouldn't really hurt anyoune if at least GIMP-git had GTK4 branch all along.
                  It would hurt everyone involved with actual development by sucking precious time however little of it is available.
                  Last edited by prokoudine; 09 November 2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Another possibility is to enhance the existing inpainting framework in GEGL. We haven't given either of that much thought yet, what with 2K+ bug reports and feature requests and all To be frank, this sounds like a job for a new interested developer. Wrapping up v3.0 development should really take the front seat now. Everybody wants what's next after that ā€” non-destructive editing.
                    Maybe a nice contained project for a student, summer of code perhaps.

Comment

I'd like to know what your confidence about "more than enough time" is based on.
                      My estimate of being able to do it in a week or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X