No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.99.2 Released With GTK3 UI, Working Wayland Support, Other Big Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great step is that the Python 2 dependency is removed and it now uses Python 3!
    I switched to the 2.99 release half a year back, to be able to get rid of almost all Python 2 on my system.

Comment

Vala compiles to C and GObject Introspection so, if Vala is supported for plugins, it shouldn't be too difficult to unofficially support Rust plugins via GIR binding work being done for things like gtk-rs.

Comment

It seems to crash when built from the AUR with babl-git and gegl-git in app on File -> New dialog (GIMP_2_99_2-75-g60f1095d4b).
        Last edited by ElectricPrism; 06 November 2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Vala compiles to C and GObject Introspection so, if Vala is supported for plugins, it shouldn't be too difficult to unofficially support Rust plugins via GIR binding work being done for things like gtk-rs.
          There is, in fact, a contributor willing to work on just that But first, let's see commits pouring in

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

There is a great way to get a program that looks and works just like Photoshop: buy the fucking Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.
            How about you swallow your silly pride and acknowledge that PS made is pretty well designed?
            One could argue that copying is a fundamental part of progress, but I'll keep it simple for you: content creation software should show more of the content without sacrificing functionality.
            A good way to save space, give more room to the content, and at the same time preserve access to the advanced functionality is to simply move the menu bar into the title bar.
            Photoshop did that in 2010, so it's not exactly brand new.
            In case you didn't notice other software have done the same, the first one the comes to my mind is visual studio code.

DominoTree I really hope so

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
              A good way to save space, give more room to the content, and at the same time preserve access to the advanced functionality is to simply move the menu bar into the title bar.
              Do what you want. I believe in SSD as trusted, unified control surfaces not susceptible to compromise or poor reinvention by applications, so I'm with the Arcan guy:

Apparently it is the season to chime in on opinions on client side decorations (CSDs) versus server side decorations (SSDs) in the context of Wayland. I normally ignore these kinds of quarrels but …

I’ll automatically detect where the top bar is, crop it out and hide it inside a titlebar toggle in the server side defined titlebar where I have the stuff that I want to be able to do to the client. There is practically nothing GTK, or anyone else for that matter, can do to counter that. In durden, the /target/window/crop and /target/window/titlebar/impostor features allows for that, per window.

Comment

There is, in fact, a contributor willing to work on just that But first, let's see commits pouring in
                Maybe on the Rust side (I don't trust myself to write memory-unsafe code outside of DOS retrocomputing) if I can get caught up on my own projects. The last few years haven't been very good for them.

(My main reason for being interested in Rust is "still memory safe like Python, with a more powerful type system for more compile-time guarantees, without having to choke down Haskell... and it's got rust-cpython and PyO3 so I can do stuff like Rust+PyQt.")
                Last edited by ssokolow; 06 November 2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

How about you swallow your silly pride and acknowledge that PS made is pretty well designed?
                  LOL, what? The last time I was using it at work, our UX guy got tired of listening to me going on and on about all the inconsistencies in PS's UI and said: "Look, what do you want? This is a 30 years old software, of course it's full of stupid shit, they just piled stuff on other stuff and nevr cleaned it up as much as they should have". That's coming from a hardcore Photoshop user of 20+ years whose livelihood still depends on knowing Adobe software in and out (less so since he started using Figma). But hey, what does he know, right?

but I'll keep it simple for you: content creation software should show more of the content without sacrificing functionality.
                  Strangely enough, we agree on that.

A good way to save space, give more room to the content, and at the same time preserve access to the advanced functionality is to simply move the menu bar into the title bar. Photoshop did that in 2010, so it's not exactly brand new.
                  Strangely enough, the absolute prerequisite for that is having a working GTK3 port. Which is kind of the point of v3.0.

So what's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Do what you want. I believe in SSD as trusted, unified control surfaces not susceptible to compromise or poor reinvention by applications, so I'm with the Arcan guy:

Apparently it is the season to chime in on opinions on client side decorations (CSDs) versus server side decorations (SSDs) in the context of Wayland. I normally ignore these kinds of quarrels but …

In principle I agree, in practice I'm really comfortable with VSCode, PS, Chrome, and other software that uses CSD in a smart way.
                    However I just can't stand Gnome approach, because many apps are far less user friendly than their previous versions with menu bars.
                    These are imho great posts about linux ui/ux
                    Why do desktop environments increasingly degrade the desktop UX that once used to be straightforward and “common sense”?

Comment

LOL, what? The last time I was using it at work, our UX guy got tired of listening to me going on and on about all the inconsistencies in PS's UI and said: "Look, what do you want? This is a 30 years old software, of course it's full of stupid shit, they just piled stuff on other stuff and nevr cleaned it up as much as they should have". That's coming from a hardcore Photoshop user of 20+ years whose livelihood still depends on knowing Adobe software in and out (less so since he started using Figma). But hey, what does he know, right?

Strangely enough, we agree on that.

Strangely enough, the absolute prerequisite for that is having a working GTK3 port. Which is kind of the point of v3.0.

So what's your point?
                      Of course PS has inconsistencies. After 30 years every software has quirks.
                      Still, at least for me, is far more intuitive than Gimp, even for simple stuff.

In fact my point was exactly that. Now that the port is in good shape maybe they can move that menu.
                      I just hope that, if they do redesign the ui, they don't use icons only header bars

Comment

Working...
                      X