Trinity Desktop 14.0.9 Is The Latest For This Decade-Old KDE 3.5 Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop 14.0.9 Is The Latest For This Decade-Old KDE 3.5 Fork

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop 14.0.9 Is The Latest For This Decade-Old KDE 3.5 Fork

For those still fond of the once venerable KDE 3.5 desktop, the Trinity Desktop Environment is still maintaining its KDE 3.5 fork after more than one decade. Trinity Desktop R14.0.9 debuted today with some additional applications now included and other updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    TDEDocker, and TDEPacman
    When I just saw that before reading the rest of the paragraph, first thing that came to mind is UI for Docker and a UI for pacman the package manager for arch/manjaro. Would be cool, but i guess a dock and pacman game are good too for people who use trinity

Comment

Here's ways to make TDE a first class citizen in modern Linux distros:

1) Revert all the naming changes from Q to T - this is asinine and no one wants to deal with this crap. Also by doing that the code base will be easier to inspect. This is probably the only thing which prevents Linux distros from including it.
      2) Think about transitioning from Qt3 to Qt5/6. Qt3 is fast and great but doesn't even support modern desktop features including Wayland.
      3) Get rid of artsd
      4) Move development to github/gitlab

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1) Revert all the naming changes from Q to T - this is asinine and no one wants to deal with this crap. Also by doing that the code base will be easier to inspect. This is probably the only thing which prevents Linux distros from including it.
        2) Think about transitioning from Qt3 to Qt5/6. Qt3 is fast and great but doesn't even support modern desktop features including Wayland.
        3) Get rid of artsd
        Agree. Also 5) Make components as modular and severable as possible. Many people still use Window Managers and could use a advanced panel or other piece of the desktop shell. With modern KDE & Gnome you can't easily take the parts you like and leave the parts you don't which creates a missed opportunity Trinity could benefit from capturing.

Comment

How would changing Ts back to Q's improve anything? Regardless, this was probably to avoid namespace collisions, like MATE did when they forked GNOME2.
          Last edited by DKJones; 01 November 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Here's some ways to change a software package I don't and won't ever use into something that fits better my agenda.
            It doesn't need to do a single thing you listed nor would it gain them anything other than massive burden.

Comment

Wow, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use this, it is even worse than KDE 4.

Comment

Wow this is still being used and maintained?

Mind = blown

Comment

Plasma 4 was much more stable for me than KDE3 . KDE3 was crashfest in comparison. Has anyone here been using TDE to share experience?

Comment

3) Get rid of artsd
                    1) Untrue.
                    2) They forked Qt 3 and added some features to it (and they are still adding features as we speak). So yeah, the *core* is old, but it's not like they're using plain Qt 3 - they're using TQt3 with added features. Wayland support would be nice, though, if only to secure its future.
                    3) artsd is not the greatest thing in the world, but not the worst either.
                    4) This I actually do fully agree with.

Comment

Working...
                    X