No announcement yet.

KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I know this is not a good thing to say, when I first saw KDE 4 I thought to myself "someone please kill KDE 3 and Gnome so that Linux has one single, standard desktop"

Yes, yes, I know people want choice. Was just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Even though I know this is not a good thing to say, when I first saw KDE 4 I thought to myself "someone please kill KDE 3 and Gnome so that Linux has one single, standard desktop"

Yes, yes, I know people want choice. Was just a thought
      heh. I personally love XFCE. However, most of my computers are often put "out" for use by Windows users, and KDE is a lot less threatening.

I think the KDE developers caught on to the fact that consumers have to WANT to use the desktop, not just use the desktop because it's there. KDE4 reflects a lot of that design. It's functional... and sexy.

To me Gnome is stuck in a clique. They don't actually satisfy a need on the desktop market. The experience isn't pleasant to use. They don't accept outside code. To me Gnome exists largely on the whims of people already using Gnome. I don't see a clear design goal from Gnome, a direction for where the desktop WANTS to go. There might be one, but the dev team is horrible about communicating it.

All other desktops have a goal. Whether it's to be as small as possible, least intrusive, lightest on resources, and so on, the various Box'es, XFCE, KDE, IceWM, E17... each has a goal for what they want to do.

Maybe Gnome does need to die to help Linux grow. There's little doubt that KDE4 will replace KDE3. It might not be until KDE 4.5, or after, but it is going to happen.

Comment

KDE was overall an unstable and unusable mess. KDE 4 is even worse. The world would be better off if all the KDE developers were rounded up and shot. I'll take Windows Me over KDE. Just my opinion of course, but I really can't understand why people still use KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by linmin View Post
          Just my opinion of course, but I really can't understand why people still use KDE.
          I know both Gnome and KDE quite well. While I think Gnome is simpler at first glance, I find myself really comfortable with KDE because it minimizes overall actions to do a certain thing. Yes, it makes my day to day work faster. I can provide you examples of nice / fancy features if you want (lots of them are not in WinME afaik). Of course you won't love it, but you'll know why some of us use it.

Comment

Originally posted by linmin View Post
            KDE was overall an unstable and unusable mess.
            Actually that varied from distro to distro. Others were better then others. If there was one thing that I found that KDE 3.5 was extremely solid and stable on openSUSE for example. Far more stable then their Gnome.

KDE 4 is even worse. The world would be better off if all the KDE developers were rounded up and shot. I'll take Windows Me over KDE. Just my opinion of course, but I really can't understand why people still use KDE.
            Again stability can vary from distro to distro. A lot of the time it's not even the desktop choice causing the instability but a underlying library that maybe the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              Hello folks.

Just want to know how many is using kde and gnome, given the new improved kde 4.2. I have myself migrated to kde and like it very much. I could have added more wm's in the poll, but I just want to know the KDE vs gnome theme.
              Well, normally KDE 3.5.10 and 4.2.x but sometimes also others, like XFCE or twm (the latter not really but it's the first WM I see on new Gentoo installations). Gnome on some liveCDs. But I'm quite fine with KDE most times, and it also does not really have a huge memory footprint.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I've been using KDE only for many years, now. It has always been rock solid on my Slackware systems, apart in some rare occasions with a KDE I compiled from trunk by myself, which means I can only blame myself here. :-)
                And this is not really true anymore anyway. Trunk is very stable now for KDE4.
                I agree that in my opinion, things really depend on the distro. Slackware is rock solid for everything and they still offer basically Slackware as the default desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Actually that varied from distro to distro. Others were better then others. If there was one thing that I found that KDE 3.5 was extremely solid and stable on openSUSE for example. Far more stable then their Gnome.

Again stability can vary from distro to distro. A lot of the time it's not even the desktop choice causing the instability but a underlying library that maybe the cause.
                  i very much agree with this - for example, i have never been a fan of any of Kubuntu's kde implementations, however, for KDE 3, straight debian, mepis, and pclinuxos have very good stable kde 3 environments.

for kde4, i had some level of issues with every distro i tried till arch, sidux was pretty good, but still kinda buggy plasma workspace crashes were annoying, wasn't a fan of opensuse, mandriva was decent, arch i realy liked, since then kde 4 has matured alot and other distro's with kde 4 have gotten alot better.

thats the downside of choice - not all implementations of a certian thing are created equal, especially not when it comes to KDE.

Comment

I use KDE 4.2.
                    I'm not a big fan of gnome, but I think it's better deployed in most distros than KDE. Especially in (K)Ubuntu!

I really hate the Gnome look. It "feels" so old and slow!

Comment

Voted GNOME but at times I prefer tiling window managers. I use Awesome on my laptop in class.

Comment

Working...
                      X