KDE Seeing More Bug Fixes Following Plasma 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into those menu issues. The other issues are all known. We're working on them.
    Thanks!

But no, Wayland is not considered generally ready for everyone. It's still effectively a tech preview that just happens to work perfectly for some people with some use cases.
    Yeah, I believe there are less problems when people have one screen and close to 96DPI so 1x scaling is used.

Also, I still haven't checked Wayland protocol myself, did I understand correctly that it (still?) doesn't support fractional scaling so when I use 1.5x+1.25x (two screens) scaling in Plasma, app actually renders at 2x and then compositor downscales it properly? Fonts look somewhat edgy comparing to X.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
      If it's high in your priority list, you are very welcome to send patches. I'm sure people will find time to review them.
      What if it's high on my priority list, but I haven't touched C++ in almost 20 years?

Can you be more specific? It works fine for me. What's the problem? Is there a bug report tracking the issue?

https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/Issue_Reporting

This isn't my report, mine was closed as duplicate of this one (horrible experience looking for bugs, trying to make sure you don't open duplicates, btw).

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Seems like according to you, everything is wrong with KDE. I don't understand why you keep using it.
      Not sure what gave you that idea. I'm happy with Plasma in general. I've got a 4k monitor recently so I could really use independent scaling, that's why I've started checking out Wayland. It's still in tech preview like ngraham says, so I'm just talking about the problems I see and I open bug reports when I get the chance. The only frustrating part (for me) is there doesn't seem to be a backlog, so you can predict when something will be fixed and bugs that look pretty serious can be years old...

I have also opened this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427921
      which was marked as a duplicate of a bug fixed in 5.20, despite me reporting the problem against 5.20...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I have also opened this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427921
        which was marked as a duplicate of a bug fixed in 5.20, despite me reporting the problem against 5.20...
        I think it's related to this one https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426746, Nate has mentioned it on this post https://pointieststick.com/2020/10/1...-5-20-is-nigh/ a few weeks ago. Probably this fix will show up at next bugfix release.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

All the bug reports I have made are duplicates, except for 1 or 2.
          same for me, many duplicates show its a wider issue though

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

If you don't know how to program using C, C++, CMake and the Qt/KDE libraries, you cannot send any useful patches. I'm sure people will not find time to learn, as they would rather do anything else.
            Also as the quote goes "No mathematician should ever allow himself to forget that mathematics, more than any other art or science, is a young man's game."

Comment

ngraham
              In the blog post you said that bug fixes aren't sexy. I disagree. Ever see the before and after pictures during acne treatment ads? Sexy bug fixes

Comment

Actually I would like to see much more bug fixes than new features. I often have the feeling that bugs to not get the necessary attention, fundamental issues are sometimes open for many years especially on Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Also as the quote goes "No mathematician should ever allow himself to forget that mathematics, more than any other art or science, is a young man's game."
                  What if you had a brain injury or a progressing disease? That generally leads to memory loss, sometimes bad, sometimes just specific things, like in this case programming specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Seems like according to you, everything is wrong with KDE. I don't understand why you keep using it.
                    Well, according to ngraham, it's still a tech preview. But purist users like you wouldn't understand that, so shoo Wayland/Plasma marketeer, shoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      Well, according to ngraham, it's still a tech preview. But purist users like you wouldn't understand that, so shoo Wayland/Plasma marketeer, shoo.
                      Or.... it's because it's usually user-error when this crap comes up.
                      If you can't handle problems in a tech preview, don't use it. Forums are not a place for bug reporting.

Shoo troglodyte, shoo.

Comment

Working...
                      X