Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• novhack
    replied
    I'm really thankful that KDE exists and for it's developers. It's a DE that I'm the most comfortable with after trying and using multiple of them and I always seem to discover new things even after 4 years of using it. Just recently I found a neat panel plugin that allows me to quickly switch audio outputs directly on the panel. I'm sure other DE's have something like that too but it made me excited either way.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Kombatant View Post
    There is no contest; Gnome is smooth and stable under Wayland. KDE still needs work.
    Last time I tried GNOME on Wayland earlier this year it still wasn't smooth, but you're right that it was very stable, esp. compared to KDE Plasma which I still can't start properly, let alone test its stability after starting.

Oh, and regarding the non-smooth and KDE not being able to start properly part: the version of GNOME was 3.36 (most recent at the time) on a clean Arch install and my hardware is 2018 Intel-only hardware (Core i5 Kaby Lake R), Samsung SSD and 8 GB of RAM (Lenovo Thinkpad L380 Yoga). So my setup is not at fault here.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    This one here is very important:

Honestly, they should not have released 5.20 without fixing this one first...
    It was extremely annoying, and I think that for a while it reset my activities...
    I agree, but there's probably a generic answer as for why they released 5.20 anyway: "it only happens on *some* installs".

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

There was a fix about this last week... Here is the closed bug report https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426746
    That's not what I'm seeing. I think I'll have a bug report shortly.

Leave a comment:

• andreduartesp
    replied
    Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    Among the reader's comments, I had expected that some had also used Gnome, instead of KDE. Both desktop environments are trying to work with Wayland. Which is better? Which will succeed first?
    Is it a matter of leap frog; where each is able to be better, at different times & circumstances?
    Probably GNOME will succeed first, their stack is much more simple. For example, Plasma is the only environment these days which allow you to completely disable composite at X.

Leave a comment:

• andreduartesp
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Those fixes look like bandaids at best, when I can't even enter text properly in KRunner.
    I hope I'll find some time tomorrow to submit a few bug reports.
    There was a fix about this last week... Here is the closed bug report https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426746

Leave a comment:

• Kombatant
    replied
    Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    Among the reader's comments, I had expected that some had also used Gnome, instead of KDE. Both desktop environments are trying to work with Wayland. Which is better? Which will succeed first?
    Is it a matter of leap frog; where each is able to be better, at different times & circumstances?
    There is no contest; Gnome is smooth and stable under Wayland. KDE still needs work.

Leave a comment:

• gregzeng
    replied

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Probably very few people. Wayland+Kwin is not usable long enough for the monitor to go into standby
    I'm then one of the few. It is not as good as it should be until now, but it works here on several different systems. What issues do you have and on which distribution? Which GPU do you use?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
    Anyone else running into this on Wayland?
    Bug 420160 - Session crashes when monitor goes into standby
    Probably very few people. Wayland+Kwin is not usable long enough for the monitor to go into standby

Leave a comment:

Working...
X