Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 4.5 Released, Qt Extended Discontinued

Phoronix: Qt 4.5 Released, Qt Extended Discontinued

The Norwegians at Qt Software (formerly known as Trolltech, which was bought out by Nokia) have released version 4.5 of the Qt Toolkit. This major update brings performance improvements, the introduction of the Qt Creator program, an improved WebKit rendering engine, Netscape plug-in API support, a new Javascript engine, and a horde of other improvements. Qt Creator 1.0 was released in conjunction with Qt 4.5 and it brings forth a lightweight cross-platform IDE for Qt development with a C++ focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone confirm if their IDE is able to highlight Lua code? (not the most unpopular scripting language there is)

"New JavaScript engine for better performance" hehe. Didn't even bother crediting the original makers, and I somehow really doubt they introduced a new JS engine on the field.
    Last edited by Vadi; 03 March 2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      "New JavaScript engine for better performance" hehe. Didn't even bother crediting the original makers, and I somehow really doubt they introduced a new JS engine on the field.
      I've just checked the source itself and the only author listed is Nokia Corporation. You seem to know who really wrote it, so why not tell us?

Comment

Um. Apple, who else is writing WebKit?

Deeeeep inside their notes:

With Qt 4.5, the Qt WebKit Integration now utilizes the latest version of WebKit.
        Integration with the lighting-fast SquirrelFish JavaScript engine
        Read: We updated Qt bindings for Webkit.

SquirrelFish is made by Webkit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirre...JavaScriptCore

So you were either looking at the bindings, or Nokia is claiming copyright of Webkit. Which I doubt would pass their lawyers, so the former

Comment

My bad, I only looked at the files in the QtScript module.

Comment

Wasn't WebKit based on KHTML/Konqueror? Doesn't the KDE team still contribute to it?

Comment

Yeah I think they still do (at least Wikipedia lists them).

Comment

It's better than that ;-)

Here is the news: in Qt 4.5 there are 2 'JavaScript' engines.

* One isn't really JavaScript, it's ECMAScript (the language behind JavaScript) and it's used mostly to automate and script Qt programs (so it has bindings to the Buttons or Sliders or Menus). This engine has been written by the Qt Software guys.

* The sencond is Apple's Squirrelfish, integrated in QtWebkit and of course the copyrights belong to webkit members. That is the JavaScript engine and can be used inside the WebKit program for standard web programming.

In Qt 4.5 both got some speed improvements ;-) And if you're thinking about merging them.. yes, the Trolls did it too ;-)

Comment

Are you saying that... they gave up their home-made technology in favour of another oss project?

Wow. Now to just get rid of the home-made translation format, renderer, build tool, buggy regex implementation, maybe other stuff, and they're good to go! Much lighter on company resources and a lot better for the OSS community.

Comment

Working...
                  X