KDE Plasma 5.20 Released With Better Wayland Support, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

Well visually I - as a KDE nerd - find Gnome pleasing. It does look like a very fine and consistent (and eye pleasing) design. I just can't deal with the minimalism. The default workflow just isn't for me (I tried it multiple weeks). Extensions can lessen that burden a bit, but they are horrible to update and one even managed to cripple my system (I was no longer able to unlock the lockscreen ... took me a while to figure out it was an extension.)

I have nothing againt Gnome. It's just not my personal taste. KDE is.
    This.
    Both DEs follow completely different paradigms & workflows, hence comparing them is pointless.
    I love KDE as my daily desktop, but I find GNOME minimalism quite appealing too, not to mention its nice performance, especially in VMs.
    Apples and oranges, folks...

Comment

Originally posted by frank007

I disagree, it causes headache to me.
      Then you are a rarity, because more people use Windows than GNOME, KDE and whatever and they're happy with it. They use it everyday at their workplace to do real work and it lets them do their job.

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You've got to be kidding. Windows 10 and its UI is terrible, unholy mess. KDE, Gnome eats this shit for breakfast.
      Windows 10 is the most popular desktop operating system in the world, it is used in the real world by real people to do real work.
      Nobody uses KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

this bug is marked as solved by this PR, if it's not solved for you, you need to reopen it or open another one.
        You're right, I wrote wrong (I'm not a native English speaker), it was in response to the user asking to fix that bug and I wanted to answer that it is already fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

Plasma default configuration is quite similar to Windows. A bottom bar, with some default applications, ao icon to open a menu with all other functions, system tray and clock
          Yeah, but that is just Plasma, but then with all KDE applications there are double menubars, you right click and the context menu is so big you have to scroll, there so many buttons directly visible for things you don't care about and don't ever want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Then you are a rarity, because more people use Windows than GNOME, KDE and whatever and they're happy with it. They use it everyday at their workplace to do real work and it lets them do their job.

Windows 10 is the most popular desktop operating system in the world, it is used in the real world by real people to do real work.
            Nobody uses KDE.
            Nobody no, I use it at work and with me 46 people only in my company.
            Yours are absolute truths, which do not correspond to reality, obviously Windows is the most used operating system, but certainly not for the DE, but for other reasons.
            In the company we all use Leap with the Lts version of Plasma, we only have two PCs running Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You've got to be kidding. Windows 10 and its UI is terrible, unholy mess. KDE, Gnome eats this shit for breakfast.
              At the same time, Windows doesn't have a problem with separate DPI per screen (it even sets it right by default!), has drivers for almost anything you can think of. It even runs Linux! There are pros and cons everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

At the same time, Windows doesn't have a problem with separate DPI per screen (it even sets it right by default!), has drivers for almost anything you can think of. It even runs Linux! There are pros and cons everywhere.
                I've said this before: I think the end user desktop experience with Linux desktops like KDE or GNOME is only 70-90% as good as it is with Windows 10 or MacOS, depending upon how you weigh features.

However, when you consider that Microsoft and Apple spend literally more than a thousand times as much resources on their user desktop experience compared to the open source software community, it's a pretty damning indictment of proprietary software.

I would rather deal with five bugs or poorly designed features from a KDE or GNOME desktop than one bug or poorly designed feature from a company that has more than a hundred billion dollars in annual revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  I've said this before: I think the end user desktop experience with Linux desktops like KDE or GNOME is only 70-90% as good as it is with Windows 10 or MacOS, depending upon how you weigh features.
                  That's way too generic. In my case, I'm about as productive on both KDE and Windows (no KRunner on Windows, but fewer scaling problems in return). Gnome makes me feel like I'm all thumbs. But that's not true for everybody.

Comment

bug77
                    This could help https://techwiser.com/spotlight-for-windows-10/

Comment

In my opinion, PLASMA is the best linux desktop environment for end-users.

Comment

Working...
                      X